Are you reading this blog on a phone? If your answer is yes, then you may be one of them who have the phone addiction. According to research, the average adult person spent approximately 3 hours on their smartphone every single day in 2017. Tally up the hours we spend on social media apps over a lifetime and the sum comes to a massive, it is approximately 5 years and 4 months. The habit of using the phone more and more of is a kind of phone addiction in adults.
(People Also Like To Read:What is Skin Cancer? – Sign, Cause and Treatment)
Between emails, texts, an increasing list of social media options and many other apps, nowadays the majority have smartphones, and most of us are more tied to them than possibly we should be. While it used to be considered rude to check your phone when out to dinner with someone or engaged with people in real life, constant phone-checking has become more and more commonplace. According to a survey from the American Psychological Association (APA), but, has been linked with stress.
Signs and Symptoms of Cell Phone addiction in Adults:
Well, cell phone addiction in adult is still not listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition, research has compared it to gambling addiction, which is a clear diagnostic criterion and is included in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition.
At least 4 of the following symptoms and signs are thought to incorporate criteria for cell phone addiction, and the cell phone overuse can cause notable harm in a person’s life.
- A need to check the mobile phone more and more frequently in order to achieve the same desired effect.
- Tenacious failed attempts to use cell phone less often.
- Preoccupation with your smartphone use.
- Turns to your cell phone while experiencing unwanted feelings such as anxiety or depression.
- Extreme use characterized by loss of sense of time.
- Has put your job or relationship at risk due to excessive cell phone use.
- Need for newest cell phone frequently, more applications, or increased use.
- Elimination, when a cell phone or network is unreachable.
If you experience these signs and symptoms of cell phone addiction in adults, help is readily available. Call the phone number above to speak with a treatment specialist about different recovery options.
Physical Effects of Phone Addiction in Adults:
Overuse of your smartphone or cell phone can result in various physical problems that may cause permanent damage or be difficult to treat, including:
- Digital eye strain
- People experiencing a headache
- The discomfort and pain and associated with viewing a digital screen for over 2 hours.
- Eyes begin to burn and itch.
- Blurred vision.
- Eye fatigue.
- Digital Eye Strain can lead to headaches.
- Neck problems which are also known as “text neck,” which refers to neck pain resulting from looking down at cell phone for too long.
- Increased illnesses because of germs.
- 1 in 6 cell phones has fecal matter on it.
- Phones have been found pollute with MRSA.
- Car accidents. Many people believe that they can multitask and can use their phones along with driving, but this causes significant harm and puts the driver and others on the road in danger. Research has proven that texting and driving can be as dangerous as drinking and driving.
- Male infertility. Preliminary studies have shown that cell phone radiation may decrease sperm motility, sperm count and viability.
(You Might Also Like To Read:How do antibiotics work to fight bacterial infections?)
Psychological Effects of Cell Phone Addiction in Adults:
- Sleep disturbances.
- Cell phone addiction has been linked to an increase in fatigue and sleep disorders in users.
- Using your cell phone before bed increases the risk of insomnia.
- Bright light may decrease your sleep quality.
- Use of smartphone could increase the amount of time it takes to fall asleep.
- Light emitted from the cell phone can activate your brain.
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
- Relationship problems.
Self-Assessment of Phone Addiction:
This self-assessment doesn’t mean to officially diagnose you with cell phone addiction. If you are worried about your problematic behaviors, speak to your doctor about possible treatment-
- Do you find yourself spending major time on your smartphone then you realize?
- Do you find yourself mindlessly passing time on a regular basis by staring at your smartphone even though there might more productive things to do?
- Has the amount of time you spend on your cell phone been increasing frequently?
- Do you seem to lose the course of time when on your cell phone?
- Do you find yourself spending more time tweeting, texting, or emailing as opposed to talking to real-time people?
- While eating, is your cell phone always part of the table place setting?
- Do you secretly wish you could be a little less connected to your cell phone?
- Do you sleep with your smartphone under your pillow or next to your bed regularly?
- Whenever you leave your house, you ALWAYS have your smartphone with you and you feel uncomfortable.
- Do you text, email, tweet, or surf the internet while driving?
- Do you feel the use of your cell phone or mobile actually decreases your productivity at times?
- When you forgot your smartphone in the car or at home, or you have no service, or it is broken?
- Do you feel unwilling to be without your smartphone, even for a short time?
- When your phone rings, beeps, buzzes, do you feel an intense urge to check for texts, or emails, updates, etc.?
Well, here we have discussed phone addiction in adults, are you or someone near you is experiencing the above-mentioned symptoms then consult your doctor regarding the diagnostic and treatment, else it can lean many physical as well as the mental problem.
(People Also Like To Read:Common Over-the-Counter or OTC Drugs and Side Effects of Abused)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.