A kidney stone is one of the most common health problems among Indians. We all very well aware of the term kidney stone and uric acid stone is one of the types of kidney stone. The symptoms of all kidney stone are the same. So let’s explore more about uric acid stones and try to prevent these.
(People Also Like To Read: Precautions for Low BP & Ways to Manage It)
What are Uric Acid Stones?
Uric acid stones are a type of kidney stones, which include calcium stones, struvite stones, and cystine stones. A kidney stone is a hard mass of crystallized minerals which form in the urinary tract or kidneys.
What Causes Uric Acid Stones?
Uric acid stones form when the levels of uric acid in the urine gets very high, or the urine is too acidic on a regular basis. High acidity in urine is linked to the following causes:
- Inherited problems in the way body process uric acid or protein in the diet can also increase the acid in urine. This can be seen in conditions like gout, which is known for its high levels of uric acid in the blood and painful deposits of crystals in the joints.
- Uric acid can result from a diet high in purines, which usually found in animal proteins like beef, poultry, pork, eggs, and fish. The highest levels of purines are found in organ meats, like liver and fish. Eating an excess amount of animal proteins can cause uric acid to build up in the urine.
- The risk of uric acid stones increased in obese or diabetic.
- Patients who are having chemotherapy are prone to developing uric acid stones.
What are the Symptoms of Uric Acid Stones?
All kidney stones show similar symptoms, including one or more of the following:
- Pain in the lower back, sides, abdomen or groin; the pain is the result of irritation or blockage inside the kidneys or urinary system.
- Blood in the urine
- Nausea or vomiting
- Fever and chills
- Urine that smells bad or is cloudy during a urinary tract infection
(You Might Also Like To Read: Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) – A Long-Term Autoimmune Disorder)
How can Uric Acid Stones be Prevented?
Following are the tips to prevent uric acid stones:
- Drink at least 12 cups of fluids daily; water is best.
- Decrease intake of red meats, replacing them with fruits and vegetables, low-fat dairy products, and whole grains.
- Limit the amount of alcohol intake.
- Avoid crash dieting, which increases uric acid levels in the blood.
- Follow the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet, which has been shown to reduce not only high blood pressure but also the risk of kidney stones.
- Many patients may also need to take prescribed medications to prevent uric acid stones and keep them from coming back.
As we all know prevention is always better than the cure. So, try the above mention ways to prevent uric acid stones and if you feel any of the symptoms then consult your doctor for proper treatment.
(People Also Like To Read: Are You Aware of The Scary Truth of Sleep Loss and Chronic Diseases)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.