Have you ever heard about the term “codependency Relationship”, It is quite possible that you haven’t heard about it. But there is a possibility that you are living in the same kind of relationship unknowingly. A codependent relationship can be of any type, it can be codependent couples, codependent companions, and codependent caretakers. But before that, we should understand what does codependent actually mean — and is it really all that bad?
What is Co-dependent Relationship?
To easily understand, we can say that Co-dependency is a learned behavior which can be passed down from one generation to the next generation. It is a behavioral and emotional condition which can affect an individual’s ability to have a mutually satisfying and healthy relationship. This kind of relationship is also known as “relationship addiction” because people with codependency often form or maintain relationships that are one-sided, emotionally destructive and/or abusive.
Who Does Co-dependent Relationship Affect?
The co-dependent relationship usually affects a spouse, sibling, a parent, friend, or co-worker of personal distress with alcohol or drug dependence. Basically, co-dependent is a term which is used to describe partners in chemical dependency, persons living with, or in a relationship with an addicted person. The same kind of pattern patterns has been seen in people in relationships with mentally ill individuals.
Signs and Symptoms of Codependent Relationship
The main and the most common signs and symptoms of Codependent Relationship include:
- Rescuing or caretaking the relationship with a person who uses you to avoid age-appropriate responsibilities.
- An imbalanced relationship with well-intentioned, but ultimately unproductive supportive behaviors, such as enabling your partner, overlooking violated agreements and accepting bogus explanations.
- Your efforts to fix a problematic, addicted or under-functioning person have encouraged dependence on you, rather than on their life progress.
- The person is having difficulty making decisions in a relationship
- A person face difficulty in identifying your feelings
- A problem in communicating in a relationship
- Giving value the approval of others more than valuing yourself
- Losing trust in yourself and having poor self-esteem
- Having abandonment fears or an obsessive need for approval
- An unhealthy dependence on relationships, even at your own cost
- An exaggerated sense of responsibility for the actions of others
What are the Characteristics of Co-dependent People?
The common characteristics of Co-dependent People Are:
- An exaggerated sense of responsibility for the other’s actions
- Usually confused with love and pity
- Become hurt when people don’t recognize their efforts
- An unhealthy dependence on relationships.
- An intense need for approval and recognition
- A feeling of guilt when asserting themselves
- An addictive need to control others
- Lack of trust in self and/or others
- Fear of being alone
- Difficulty identifying feelings
- Rigidity/difficulty adjusting to change
- Problems with intimacy/boundaries
- Chronic anger
- Poor communications
- Difficulty making decisions
How do you End a Codependent Relationship?
Here are some common tips to help end a codependent relationship and move on with your life
- Remember the problems in your past relationship
- Set boundaries and keep stick to them
- Build your sense of self
- Don’t look for a new relationship or partner to make you feel happy.
What Causes a Codependent Personality?
Codependent personality is defined as an excessive psychological or emotional reliance on a partner, typically a partner who requires support due to an illness or addiction. Codependency is also known as “relationship addiction” because it inhibits a person from sustaining a healthy, long-term relationship.
Codependent relationships can be with anyone like romantic partners, friends or family members. Usually, this type of relationship includes emotional or physical abuse. Just like any other mental or emotional health issue, treatment requires time and effort, as well as the help of a doctor to treat this.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.