Have you heard of WASH services in healthcare facilities? The idea behind the term ‘WASH’ is Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene in Health Care Facilities. These basic facilities are essential for quality care as well as preventing and controlling infections in health care facilities.
(People Also Like To Read: Know Why Stress Causes Heart Problem? By Dr. Birender Thind)
Last year in April, WHO had a news release stating 1 in 4 healthcare facilities lacks basic water services. Further in the report, revealed that some health centers lack basic facilities as well. In particular, WASH is a prerequisite and stepping stone for quality care.
What are WASH services in healthcare facilities?
WHO’s Q&A acknowledges WASH services as “water availability and quality, presence of sanitation facilities and availability of soap and water for handwashing.” To be precise WASH represent Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene are essential basic health services.
The WASH upholds preventing infections and the spread of disease, protecting healthcare providers and seekers, keeping up the dignity of those at risk involving pregnant women and the disabled. Healthcare facilities with low resource setups, gravely compromising with providing safe and people-centered care.
Consequences of lack of WASH services in healthcare facilities
In the global aspect, the current WASH services are low and far less than the needed requirement. Thus, there is a bundle of consequences resulting from the lack of such arrangements. The following has been shared below:
- An estimate of hundreds of millions of patients every year affected by infections associated with healthcare.
- Where 15% estimated patients develop 1 or more infections during a hospital stay.
- Sepsis and other severe infections a major concern among newborns. Claiming deaths, over an estimate of 430,000 annually.
- The lack of these arrangements discourages women from giving birth in these facilities. Moreover, delay in seeking medical care.
Another way round, improvement in WASH services in healthcare facilities can establish faith in the healthcare facilities where mothers and others won’t hesitate in seeking medical attention.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Take Extra Precautions Of Your Baby With Infantile Eczema)
Way to Improve WASH services in healthcare facilities
The improvement in the WASH services requires commitment from health and environmental partners at every level. The road to improvement necessitates various actions:
1. Reinforcing national policies and standards.
2. Bring coordination and expansion in monitoring.
3. Make certain enough human resources and financing mechanisms.
4. Trained staff for prioritizing and maintaining improvements.
WHO Backed: 8 Practical Steps to Improve WASH services in healthcare facilities:
1. Performing circumstance examination and evaluation.
2. Determine the goal and define the blueprint.
3. Set up national benchmarks and accountability mechanisms.
4. Bring improvement and maintenance in infrastructure.
5. Proper monitoring and reviewing of the data.
6. Prepare a health workforce.
7. Engage communities for getting feedback things.
8. Induce operational research and share learning.
We are sure you have gained a better insight into WASH services in healthcare facilities by now. The blog aims at increasing awareness among the people. The provision of WASH looks forward to accomplishing higher levels of WASH services achievement globally in about 80% of low-and middle-income countries, by 2020.
(People Also Like To Read: Nocturia: Are you urinating more at night?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.