Nervous breakdown is a period of mental sickness resulting from terrible depression, stress, or anxiety. Usually, in this condition, people get mentally unstable. They may feel some psychological and physical symptoms like depression, dizziness, etc. In this article, we have mentioned some details about the nervous breakdown and how to treat this.
(People Also Like To Read:Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment)
What is a Nervous Breakdown?
Nervous breakdown or mental breakdown is a term used to describe a period of intense mental distress. During this period, you’re unable to function in your everyday life. This term was once used to refer to a wide variety of mental illnesses, including depression, anxiety, and acute stress disorder.
Although nervous breakdown is no longer considered as a medical term, it’s still used to describe intense symptoms of stress and an inability to cope with life’s challenges. What others see as a mental breakdown can also be an undiagnosed mental illness.
There isn’t one agreed definition for what constitutes a nervous breakdown. It’s generally viewed as a period when physical and emotional stress becomes intolerable and impair one’s ability to function effectively.
What are the Symptoms of Nervous Breakdown?
You may experience physical, psychological, and behavioral symptoms when going through a breakdown. The signs of a nervous breakdown vary from person to person.
1. Depressive symptoms, like – loss of hope and thoughts of suicide or self-harm.
2. Anxiety with high blood pressure, tense muscles, clammy hands, dizziness, upset stomach, and trembling or shaking.
5. Extreme mood swings or unexplained outbursts
6. Panic attacks, which include chest pain, detachment from reality and self, extreme fear, and difficulty breathing.
7. Paranoia, such as believing someone is watching you or stalking you
8. Flashbacks of a traumatic event, which can suggest undiagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder.
Some Major Experiences of Nervous Breakdown:
1. Avoiding social functions and engagements
2. Eating and sleeping poorly
3. Maintaining poor hygiene
4. Calling in sick to work for days or not showing up to work at all
5. Isolating yourself in your home
(You Might Also Like To Read:Top 10 Tips on How to Reduce Parental Anxiety)
What are the Causes of Nervous Breakdown?
A person may report having a nervous breakdown when stress is too much for them to bear. That stress can be caused by external influences. Some of those include:
1. Persistent work stress
2. A recent traumatic event, such as a death in the family
3. Serious financial issues
4. A major life change
5. Poor sleep and inability to relax
6. Chronic medical conditions
What are the Risk Factors of Nervous Breakdown?
Some existing factors might increase a person’s likelihood of experiencing a nervous breakdown. These include:
1. Personal history of anxiety disorders
2. Family history of anxiety disorders
3. Recent injury or illness that makes daily life difficult to
How to Treat Nervous Breakdown?
Nervous breakdown is a sign of a mental health disorder. It’s important for you to see the doctor as soon as you notice signs of breakdown. The doctor can help you to treat the physical symptoms. They can also refer you to a psychologist or psychiatrist. These mental health professionals can treat your emotional, mental, and behavioral symptoms.
About Dr. Rajnish Kumar: Doctor Rajnish Kumar is a well-known Neurologist of Delhi/ NCR. If you feel any symptoms of the disease or any neuro problem then you can book a free online appointment to consult the doctor.
(People Also Like To Read:Know Top 5 Reasons for Why You May be Sleeping More Than Others)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.