Metabolic syndrome is a condition, not a disease It is a cluster of five risk factors that increase the risk of evolving chronic conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. The five risk factors of this syndrome are increased blood pressure, excess belly, high blood sugar levels, high triglyceride levels and low levels of good cholesterol.
(People Also Like To Read: 8 Excellent Tips to Get Full Body Detox)
What is Metabolic Syndrome?
As mentioned above metabolic syndrome is not a disease. It is a group of factors that indicate metabolism function is not working properly in your body. This dysfunction of metabolism usually leads to deadly diseases.
Having such syndrome can damage your blood vessels and increases the risk of deadly diseases like diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease, dementia, fatty liver, vision impairment, and many other more.
Risk Factors for Metabolic Syndrome
According to the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) of the National Institutes of Health, if you have at least three of the following five criteria then you have metabolic syndrome:
- If your blood pressure is 130/85 or higher, or you’re currently taking medication for lowering your blood pressure.
- The second risk factor for the syndrome is your waist circumference if it is greater than 35 inches in women and greater than 40 inches in men. This measurement should be taken 1 inch above the highest part of the side of your pelvic bone. The circumference around your belly button is also a good approximation.
NOTE: There are some high-risk people too, and for those criteria are lower that is 33 inches for women and 37 for men. They include people with a personal or family history of vascular disease (such as heart disease, stroke, and diabetes) and specific ethnic groups, including African-Americans, Asians, Native Americans, Indian/Pakistanis, and Latinos.
- If the “good” cholesterol or HDL is less than 40 mg/dL in men and 50 mg/dL in women or you’re currently taking HDL-raising medications.
- A fasting triglyceride level of 150 mg/dL or higher, or you’re currently taking medication for lowering triglyceride.
NOTE: The American Heart Association has lowered what it considers to be optimal fasting triglycerides to less than 100 mg/dL.
- A fasting blood glucose (blood sugar) of 100 mg/dL or higher.
(You Might Also Like To Read: 6 Amazing and Quick Tips to Reduce Belly Fat)
Foods for Metabolic syndrome
Food to Eat
Here is the list of food that you should include to avoid this syndrome.
• Protein increases the thermic effect of food (TEF) in your body. It means it increases your metabolic rate by 15-20% while carbs increase only 5-10%.
• The common sources of protein are meat, fish, eggs, dairy, legumes, nuts and seeds.
• Small meals (fruits, detox drinks, salads )
• 2-3 litter water in a day
• Metabolism boost spices like cinnamon, ginger, cumin
Food to avoid
• Carb rich food such as wheat products, refined flour
• Full-fat dairy products
• Fruit juices
• Refined sugar
• Fried items
• Artificial sweetener
• Packet food items like packet soup, pickles
Here we have discussed metabolic syndrome, it is a condition that can lead to many deadly diseases like diabetes, hypertension or heart disease. The simple lifestyle changes can help you control this syndrome, so take care of your health and boost your metabolism.
(People Also Like To Read: 12 Amazing Tips to Take Care of Health During Office Hours)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.