Is blood clotting during pregnancy is normal? Yes, it’s normal when the women get pregnant she starts facing some hormonal changes due to the pregnancy, blood clotting is also the part of it. But yes, if the clot colour is changing constantly then it creates a problem. In this blog, we mentioned some important facts about blood clotting during pregnancy. To know more, read the entire blog.
(People Also Like To Read: 10 Essential Vitamins for Women That You Need to Know About)
Define Blood Clot:
A blood clot usually begins when the body sends cells, called platelets, to block the flow of blood. Generally, it occurs when you have a deep cut and bleeding continuously.
Symptoms of Blood Clots during Pregnancy:
The symptoms of blood clots include:
- Swelling or pain in one side of the leg
- Pain which worsens when you walk
- Veins which look larger than normal
What Problems Can Blood Clots Cause During Pregnancy?
If you already dealing with a blood clot or thrombophilia called antiphospholipid syndrome, then you be more likely to have complications which can affect your health and your baby’s health, including:
- Clots in the placenta: The placenta grows in the uterus (womb) and supplies the baby with food and oxygen through the umbilical cord. Clotting in the placenta can stop blood flow to the baby and harm the baby.
- Growth restriction: This condition refers to when the baby grows poorly in the womb.
- Miscarriage: This condition happens when a baby dies in the womb before completing 20 weeks of pregnancy.
- Placental Deficiency: It happens when the placenta doesn’t work as well as it should so the baby gets less food and oxygen.
- Preeclampsia: It is a condition which can happen after the 20th week of pregnancy or right after pregnancy. It generally happens when a pregnant woman has high BP and signs that some of her organs, like- kidneys and liver, may not be working properly.
- Smoking: Smoking is injurious to health as it also damages the lining of blood vessels, which can cause blood clots to form.
- C- Section: A c-section is a surgery in which the baby is born through a cut which the doctor makes in the belly and uterus. According to the research recommends that doctors help to prevent blood clots in women during a c-section. It includes using compression devices which put pressure on the legs to help keep the blood flowing during the c-section.
- Dehydration: When you don’t have a sufficient amount of water in the body. It causes blood vessels to narrow and the blood to thicken, which makes you more likely to have blood clots.
- Try not to move: This may suggest because you’re on bed rest during pregnancy or recovering from surgery or an accident. Not moving for long periods of time can also lead to poor blood flow, which makes you more likely to have blood clots. Even sitting for long periods of time, like when traveling by car or plane, can increase the chances of having a blood clot.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Facts About Premenstrual Syndrome)
Do Blood Clots Go Away On Their Own?
A DVT or pulmonary embolism can take weeks or months to totally dissolve. Even a surface clot, which is a very minor issue, can take weeks to go away. If you have a DVT or pulmonary embolism, you typically get more and more relief as the clot gets smaller.
Are Blood Clots Bad?
Clots are healthy and it’s lifesaving when they stop bleeding. But they can also form when they aren’t needed and cause a heart attack, stroke, or other serious medical problems.
Here, we have shared with you important information related to blood clotting during pregnancy. If your condition takes another path then consult an experienced gynecologist first.
(People Also Like To Read: Bed Wetting Habit in Kids: It Can Be A Warning Sign)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.