Almost everybody is familiar with a thyroid gland which is located in the middle of the lower neck. What does the thyroid gland have to do? The function of this gland is to control the metabolism of the body. For the same, the gland has to produce hormones. Improper functioning of the thyroid gland can result in thyroid diseases. People often get confused between hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. In the following, we’ll do hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism to understand the difference.
(People Also Like To Read: Ectopic Pregnancy, A Rare Condition Of Embryo Outside The Womb)
Let’s Begin the Game: Hypothyroidism vs. Hyperthyroidism
We understood that the right amount of hormone production depends upon the proper functioning of the thyroid gland. Otherwise, it can cause diseases like hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. No more getting confused, here let’s differentiate considering some basis.
Basis 1: Understanding the meaning to differentiate
Due to improper functioning when the thyroid gland produces too much hormone the body tends to start using energy faster than usual. In this, the condition is known as hyperthyroidism.
On the other hand, when the gland doesn’t produce enough hormones the body tends to use energy slower than it should. Here, in this case, we call it hyperthyroidism.
Considering the 1st basis for hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism, here we cleared the first difference.
Basis 2: Symptoms-
Here, the symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Fatigue or tiredness
- Heavy and frequent menstrual periods
- Gaining weight
- Dry skin and hair
- Croaky voice
- Cold Intolerance
Next, the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism
- Experiencing irritability or nervousness
- Having muscle weakness or tremors
- Infrequent and scant menstrual periods
- Suffering sleep disturbances
- Enlarged thyroid gland
- Encountering vision problems or eye irritation
- Sensitivity towards heat
In this part of hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism, clearly states the difference between the two conditions.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Is Daily Sex Good For Your Health? Find It Out Yourself Here)
Basis 3: Causes for Hypothyroidism vs. hyperthyroidism
To differentiate between the two conditions let’s understand the causes. There are different causes of both conditions.
The below-mentioned condition causes Hypothyroidism:
- Thyroiditis: This can lower the amount of hormones production where it is the inflammation of the gland.
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: This is a heredity disease of the immune system.
- Postpartum thyroiditis: The condition is common in women after giving birth but is usually a temporary condition.
- Iodine deficiency: Iodine is used by the thyroid gland to produce hormone insufficiency of which can lead to deficiency. This is a common deficiency that affects many people worldwide.
- Non-functioning thyroid gland: Here a non-functioning thyroid gland can affect newborns. The condition is a rare one but if not treated can make the child physically and mentally retarded.
Conditions that can cause hyperthyroidism
- Graves’ disease: The disease can make the entire thyroid gland overactive and the gland ends up producing too much hormone.
- In case, nodules might get overactive within the thyroid gland.
- Thyroiditis: This disorder can release hormones that were stored in the thyroid gland.
- Excess of iodine: Too much of iodine might cause the thyroid to produce either too much or too little hormone.
We hope the information mentioned above was helpful and you are able to understand the difference between both the condition.
(People Also Like To Read: Learn to treat PMS naturally; ease emotional fluctuation)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.