Puberty is the period in the human being of sexual maturation The age of puberty varies among person to person. It usually occurs in girls and boys between the ages of 10 and 14 and 12 and 16 respectively.
(People Also Like To Read: High blood pressure in children: Know The Symptoms)
It is associated with the development of secondary sex characteristics and rapid growth. Central precocious puberty (CPP) occurs earlier than normal due to the release of hormones from the hypothalamus of the brain. Girls are more likely to have a precocious one.
Both environmental and genetic factors are involved in the timing of it. It can also be the reason for emotional changes and mood swings.
What is puberty?
It is the period during which growing girls or boys undergo the process of sexual maturation. It involves different physical stages which lead to the fertility and the development of the secondary sex characteristics, the physical changes are associated with adult males and females (like the growth of pubic hair). It involved a series of physical transformations.
What do You Understand By the Timing and Stages of Puberty?
Puberty and adolescence can be confusing! Here are some points on what to expect and when:
Puberty in girls generally starts between the ages of 8 and 13 and ends around by the age of 14. For boys, it usually starts between 10 and 14 and ends by around 15 or 16. For girls, usually, the first signs are their breasts starting to grow.
If you’re developing faster or slower than you think that you should, your body may be changing at its own natural way. It’s better to let your doctor know if it hit you before the age of 8. Similarly, let your doctor know if you don’t have any signs after the age of 14. Your doctor may check whether it is a medical problem involved.
Signs and Symptoms of Puberty in Girls:
- The first sign of puberty in girls is usually their breasts changes.
- Breast tenderness or the development of one breast several months before the other one is common.
- Pubic hair also starts to grow, even some girls can notice more hair on their legs as well as arms.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Diabetic Neuropathy: Types, Symptoms, Treatment)
After completion of a year or so of puberty beginning, and for the next couple of years:
- Breasts continue to grow and become fuller
- Around 2 years of puberty, girls usually have their first period
- Pubic hair becomes curlier and coarser
- Underarm hair begins to grow – some girls also have hair in other parts of their body, like their top lip, which is Completely normal
- Start more sweating
- Often get acne
- White vaginal discharge
- Gain weight as their body shape changes
Signs and Symptoms of Puberty in Boys
- The early sign of puberty in boys is that their testicles get bigger.
- Scrotum begins to thin and redden
- Pubic hair starts to appear at the base of the penis
After a year or so of puberty starting, and for the next couple of years:
- The penis and testicles grow and the scrotum gradually becomes darker
- Pubic hair becomes thicker and curlier
- Underarm hair starts to grow
- Start to sweat more
- Breasts can swell slightly temporarily
- Voice gets permanently deeper in boys
- Often develop acne
- Go through a growth spurt and become taller by an average of 7 to 8cms, or around 3 inches a year.
In the end, we all know that puberty is normal and it brings so many mental as well as physical as well as emotional changes in human bodies which is completely obvious. If you notice any changes which are not normal then you should not avoid it and consult your doctor as your convenience.
(People Also Like To Read:How Common is Thyroid Cancer?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.