Insulin is a hormone which plays an important role to control your blood sugar level. It is a natural hormone which is produced by the pancreas and lower the glucose level in the body. But the individuals who are dealing with diabetes are not able to produce insulin. To maintain the blood sugar level these persons need to take insulin supplements which are injected in the body via syringe or pen. Here, let’s explore the ways to safe and effective use of insulin.
(People Also Like To Read: Pregnancy and Urinary Tract Infections – Know The Facts)
Safe and Effective Use of Insulin
Insulin is a hormone which is used for lowering the glucose level by some people with diabetes to control their blood sugar. People who are dealing with type 1 diabetes use supplemental insulin to increase the amount of insulin that is not produced by the body. Individuals who are dealing with type 2 diabetes can need to take insulin if they are not able to maintain sufficient blood sugar control with the help of other medications.
Insulin is manufactured to be the same as the insulin hormone which is process by the human pancreas. These artificial insulins can work from a few hours to a whole day. They are generally injected through a needle or pen.
Guidelines for Safe and effective use of insulin
All insulins should be stored with care to ensure that they remain safe as well as effective. Inappropriate storage can result in the damage of insulin, which can affect its ability to predictably and effectively control the blood sugar level.
Depending on the type of insulin you are using, there is some fine dissimilarity, in how best to store it and how long it will last once open. Discuss to your doctor for the specifics on how to store your own insulin prescription.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Amoxicillin Side Effects, Usage & Dosage Guide)
Here are some general rules for properly storing insulin:
- Insulins are temperature sensitive to either it is too high or too low. While receiving your insulin prescription, you should store all the insulin that you’ve received in the refrigerator.
- Once you open a new vial or pen, note down the date when you opened it right on the packaging. This will help you remember when to stop using it. Throw the insulin away 28 days after opening it.
- Once you open a vial, keep it stored in the fridge or at room temperature. Be aware that injecting refrigerated insulin may be painful.
- Keep an insulin pen refrigerated until you open it; after that, you can store it at room temperature.
- Discuss to your doctor if your type of insulin has a longer or shorter lifespan. Some insulins must be used within 10 days.
- If you suspect that your insulin was ever frozen then you should not use it. Insulin could freeze if it was left outside in extremely cold temperature
- Insulin is equally sensitive to the hot temperatures, so do not leave your insulin pack in outside in extreme heat.
- Sunlight exposure can also degrade insulin.
- Always check the expiration date before buying the insulin and do not use expired insulin.
- Inspect your insulin before each use. Look for changes in color or clarity. Look for clumps, solid white particles, or crystals in the bottle or pen. Insulin that is clear should always be clear and never look cloudy.
What are the risks of taking insulin?
Patients with type 2 diabetes treated with insulin could be exposed to a greater risk of health complications including heart attack, stroke, cancer, and eye complications.
Safe and effective use of insulin is very important, you are diabetic either dealing with type 1 diabetes or type 2 diabetes and dependent on insulin then you should aware of the use of insulin and should ask your doctor about the precaution.
(People Also Like To Read: Know the Best Diet for Elderly people)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.