In India, we celebrate National Dengue Day on May 16 by the guidance of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, to spread awareness about dengue and to increase preventive measures and ways to prevent and control the disease in the country before the communication season starts.
(People Also Like To Read:West Nile Virus: Rare Virus, 6-year-old Kerala Boy Died)
National Dengue Day 2019:
Dengue is one of the most common diseases in India. In 2017, the most affected area throughout the country was Tamilnadu followed by Kerala, Karnataka, Punjab, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Gujarat, Haryana, Maharashtra, Odisha, Rajasthan, Delhi, and other states.
Know More Facts about Dengue:
- It is known as a viral disease caused by the dengue virus.
- Dengue is transmitted by the mosquito (Aedes aegypti) bite infected with any one of the four dengue viruses (DENV 1 to 4).
- Dengue virus mosquito (Aedes aegypti) bites at daylight.
- The symptoms develop in person after 3-14 days of the infective bite.
- The person infected with the dengue virus can communicate the infection to another person via Aedes mosquitoes during 4-5 days of onset of symptoms.
- Dengue prevention depends on its control measures.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Dengue Fever:
Well, signs and symptoms of the disease may vary depending on the severity.
Mild Dengue Fever
Symptoms may appear within 7 days after the bite of the mosquito which carries the virus.
- Pain in muscles and joints
- Appearance and disappearance of the body rash
- High temperature
- Severe headache
- Vomiting and Feeling nauseous
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever:
At the early stages, symptoms of DHF may be similar to mild dengue fever but gradually worsen the situation. The signs of DHF are:
- Bleeding from the gums, mouth or nose
- Clammy skin
- Damage to blood vessels
- Internal bleeding
- Less number of platelets in the blood
- Sensitive stomach
- Blood spots under the skin
- Weak pulse
(You Might Also Like To Read:Development of New Therapy For Treating West Nile Virus)
Dengue Shock Syndrome
DSS is a severe form of dengue. It can be deadly. The symptoms of DSS are:
- Intense stomach pain
- Sudden hypotension
- Heavy bleeding
- Regular vomiting
- Blood vessels leaking fluid
Treatment of Dengue:
As of now, we don’t have any antiviral medicines for dengue. Timely diagnosis by your doctor and proper treatment decrease the death rates below 1%. Doctor recommend pain reliever (analgesics) along with paracetamol and ask the patient to drink enough fluids and take proper rest.
Acetylsalicylic acid like aspirin and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Ibuprofen are not recommended.
What are the Precautions of Dengue?
The vaccine can’t protect against dengue. Avoiding mosquito bites is the only way to prevent it.
Clothing: Reduce exposed skin by long-sleeved shirts, wearing long pants, and socks.
Mosquito Repellents: Use a repellent with at least 10 percent concentration of diethyltoluamide (DEET). Avoid using DEET to kids.
Door and Window Screens: Structural barriers, like screens or netting, helps to keep mosquitos out.
Avoid Scents: Scented perfumes and soaps may attract mosquitos.
Timing: Try to avoid being outside at dusk and early evening.
Stagnant water: The Aedes mosquito stays in clean or stagnant water.
To reduce the risk of mosquitoes breeding in stagnant water:
- Turn buckets and watering cans over
- Remove excess water from plant pot plates
- Water storage containers should be kept covered with a lid.
- Aerosol can be used to prevent mosquito bites.
- Dengue patient should be prevented from mosquito bites.
(People Also Like To Read:Dengue, Chikungunya Warning: Diseases May Hit Delhi Earlier This Year)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.