Every year, the World Health Organization (WHO) and its partners such as the World Heart Federation, celebrate World No Tobacco Day on May 31 to highlight the health and other risks associated with tobacco use and promote for effective policies to reduce tobacco consumption.
This year, World No Tobacco Day will work under the theme “Heart-Broken Tobacco” will focus on the important link between tobacco and heart disease.
The campaign aims to raise public awareness of the link between tobacco and cardiovascular disease (CVD) and to promote possible actions that can be taken by governments and the public to reduce the risks to heart health.
The World No Tobacco Day will also be an opportunity to strengthen engagement and strengthen the cardiovascular community in the fight against tobacco.
Cardiovascular disease kills more people around the world than any other cause of death. Smoking and passive smoking account for about 12-15% of all deaths from heart disease.
Smoking is also the second most common cause of cardiovascular disease after hypertension. Despite the known effects on the health of the heart tobacco and the availability of solutions for the reduction of deaths and diseases is the knowledge of large sections of the public that tobacco is a major cause of cardiovascular disease, low.
What are the Aims of the World No Tobacco Day 2018?
There are several aims of celebrating the day including;
- Highlight the links between tobacco use and cardiac products and other cardiovascular diseases.
- Raise public awareness of the effects of smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke in cardiovascular health.
- Provide opportunities for the public, governments, and others to commit to promoting heart health by protecting people from the use of tobacco products.
- Encourage countries to accelerate the implementation of the proven MPOWER tobacco control measures included in the WHO-Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC).
WHO encourages governments around the world to protect people from harm caused by tobacco. Measures include:
- The development of smoke-free public places, workplaces, and public transport.
- Help for people who want to quit smoking, such as free hotlines.
- Set up the simple packaging and/or cautious warnings and graphics on tobacco packaging.
- Put in place effective tobacco campaigns that educate the public about the dangers of smoking and exposure to second-hand smoke.
- Use of global bans on tobacco advertising, and sponsorship.
- Increase taxes on tobacco products to make them less affordable.
World No Tobacco Day 2018 Quotes
“The hardest distance is always from the sofa to the front door.” – Erki Nool
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain
“The world has the habit of making room for the man whose words and actions show that he knows where he is going.” – Napoleon Hill
“Your life is in your hands, to make of it what you choose.” – John Kehoe
(People Also Like To Read: 11 Lifestyle Diseases in India That You Should Take Seriously)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.