Did you know that Gastric Bypass Surgery is widely considered as the most popular Bariatric Surgery across the world? According to a long-term study on Bariatric surgery for obesity, individuals who underwent Roux-en-Y or gastric bypass operations exhibited a significant weight reduction of nearly 50%. Even in severe cases, the weight loss was around 25%. At Gomedii, we are committed to providing you with the best deals on Gastric Bypass Surgery in India.
(People Also Like To Read: Affordable Deep Vein Thrombosis Treatment in India)
An Overview of Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
India is one of the most popular destinations for destinations for bariatric surgeries around the globe. Thousands of international medical travelers visit top Indian hospitals for Gastric Bypass Surgery in India to lose weight.
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Gastric bypass surgery is a type of bariatric surgery that aids people in weight loss by surgically changing the way your stomach and small intestine processes food you eat. It is also known as weight loss or metabolic surgery.
It is done by creating a small pouch from the stomach and connecting the newly created pouch to the small intestine. After the procedure, your stomach will be smaller. You will feel full with less food. The surgery is suggested when diet or exercise don’t show the desired results or serious weight-related health conditions.
Why is Gastric Bypass Surgery Done?
The metabolic surgery is done to aid you in losing excess weight and reduce the risk of potentially life-threatening weight-related health problems, including:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Type 2 diabetes
To book an appointment with us, Click here!
When Should I Consider Weight Loss Surgery?
You can consider gastric bypass surgery if dieting or exercising have no effect on your heath or suffering from a severe weight-related health condition. Other indications are:
- Have a BMI of 40 or higher: BMI is the estimation of body fat based on your height-to-weight ratio. BMI or 40 or higher indicates towards higher obesity and is associated with a high risk of weight-related diseases.
- Have a BMI between 35-39.5: It indicates obesity and health-related conditions, such as Type 2 diabetes, severe sleep apnea or high blood pressure.
You can be qualified for gastric bypass surgery if your BMI is between 30-34 and you have serious weight-related health problems.
How do I Prepare for Gastric Bypass Surgery?
As weight loss surgery is a major one, it requires major preparations on the patient’s end. Your health practitioner will want to ensure that you are fit, physically and mentally, to undergo the procedure. There are a few things that you can do to prepare yourself before the surgery:
- Stop any tobacco and alcohol use
- Start physical activities like walking, exercises, etc.
- Follow a pre-bariatric surgery diet for a few weeks
- Avoid consuming caffeinated beverages approximately one month prior to surgery
- Undergo pre-surgery tests
You can also join Bariatric Surgery Presurgical Lifestyle Programs to better streamline your lifestyle before the surgery.
How is Gastric Bypass Surgery Performed?
Almost all gastric bypass surgeries are performed by laparoscopy. Sometimes, the surgery is done with the assistance of a robot as well. But in some cases, a traditional open-surgery may be required if the condition is severe.
The following steps are followed during the gastric bypass surgery:
- You will be administered anesthesia for the procedure to be pain-free for you.
- A keyhole incision will be made in your abdomen to inflate it with carbon dioxide. This process separates the abdomen wall from your organs and makes everything easier to see.
- A laparoscope will be placed inside the abdomen through the keyhole incision to visualize the organs.
- More incisions are made to reduce the size of your stomach. The surgeon will divide the stomach into two parts – the upper smaller section (pouch) and the lower larger section.
- Next comes the bypass. Your surgeon will connect the smaller part of your stomach to a section of your small intestine via a small hole in your pouch.
- The final step is to reattach the upper branch of your small intestine to the trunk further down. Now your small intestine has two branches attached to the trunk: one leading from your stomach pouch, and the other leading from the remainder of your stomach.
After the incisions are made, the surgeon cuts the supper smaller pouch of your stomach seals it from the rest of the stomach. The resulting pouch can now only hold an ounce of food. This small pouch is then connected to the middle section of your small intestine.
Your food will now go into this small pouch and then directly into the middle section of the small intestine. The food will bypass most of your stomach and the first section of the small intestine.
To book an appointment with us, Click here!
What Can I Expect After the Procedure?
The surgery takes around 2-4 hours.
Post surgery, you can only have liquids for your diet. After a few weeks, you can move to pureed food and finally to solids. Your dietitian will guide you on how you can change your eating habits post gastric bypass surgery to keep healthy while losing weight. This transition will take good amount of time as.
You will also need to take vitamin and mineral supplements for life as they are usually absorbed in the upper part of the small intestine, including a multivitamin with iron, calcium and vitamin B-12.
You will also have to undergo frequent medical checkups to monitor your heath in the first several months post metabolic surgery. You may need laboratory testing, bloodwork and various exams.
Your body will go through some changes due to rapid weight loss within 3-6 months after gastric bypass surgery, such as:
- Body aches
- Feeling tired, as if you have the flu
- Feeling cold
- Dry skin
- Hair thinning and hair loss
- Mood changes
(You Might Also Like To Read: Which Are Top 10 Breast Cancer Treatment Hospitals In India?)
What are the Advantages of Roux-en-Y Surgery?
Gastric Bypass surgery comes with its many benefits, such as:
- Has one of the best success rates over the long term (over 90%)
- Reliable as it’s one of the most thoroughly studied surgeries in modern medicine
- Consistent, significant weight loss decades later, post surgery
- Resolves secondary and tertiary health conditions
- One cam discontinue medications for these conditions post surgery
What are the Risks Associated With Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Just like any other surgery, metabolic surgery also comes with its own set of risks, such as:
- Excessive bleeding
- Adverse reactions to anesthesia
- Blood clots
- Lung or breathing problems
- Leaks in your gastrointestinal system
Long-term risks include:
- Bowel obstruction
- Dumping syndrome, causing diarrhea, nausea or vomiting
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Stomach perforation
Cost of Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
India offers one of the most affordable surgery options all over the world. The cost of gastric bypass surgery in India ranges from $5000 to $7000, depending on the city and the hospital chosen for the same.
To book an appointment with us, Click here!
Top Hospitals for Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
India has one of the top healthcare chains that offer cost-effective, top-class treatments for all ailments. The country also hosts one of the best doctors who are not only highly qualified but experienced as well. Gomedii as complied a list of top hospitals offering gastric bypass surgery in India for you!
- Fortis Hospital, NOIDA
- Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh
- Apollo Gleneagles, Kolkata
- MGM Healthcare, Chennai
- QRG Super Specialty Hospital, Faridabad
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, New Delhi
- Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai
- Yashoda Super Specialty Hospital, Hyderabad
- Sri Ramchandra Medical Center, Chennai
Click here to book an appointment and get one step closer to your affordable gastric bypass surgery in India!
FAQs on Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
How long does gastric bypass surgery last?
The surgery lasts for 2-4 hours. Post surgery, the patient stays in the hospital for 2-3 days before being discharged.
What is the recovery period for gastric bypass surgery?
The patient can return back to their normal activities after 4-6 weeks of proper rest and care. But one needs to make a life-long commitment to lifestyle changes to help make most of your surgery. You may also feel tired and moody; notice changes in your body such as dry skin and thinning of hair for 3-6 months post which, things will be back to normal.
How fast do you lose weight after gastric bypass surgery?
The average weekly weight loss of gastric bypass patients is around 5-15 lbs (2.2-6.8 kg) for the first two to three months. It starts to taper off to 1-2 lbs (0.5-1 kg) a week after six months.
Choose GoMedii for an affordable Gastric Bypass Surgery in India
If you are looking for affordable gastric bypass surgery in India, you are at the right place and time! Trust GoMedii with your treatment; we assure you of a top-notch and hassle-free process.
We have tie-ups with one of India’s most reputed hospitals to get you the best treatment at an affordable cost. Furthermore, to avail of our packages, You Can Contact us on our Website and WhatsApp (+91 9654030724) or call us at 9599004811. Additionally, you can also email us at email@example.com. Our team will respond to you on a priority basis.
Feel free to drop your queries through this “form”. Our team of experts will contact you!
(People Also Like To Read: Which Are Top 10 Cancer Hospitals In Bangalore?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.