Women go through a lot of bodily changes during their lifetime. They are prone to more and quicker hormonal imbalance than men. One of the results of these imbalances is Premenstrual Syndrome. While most of the women do not know how and when they start, it is important to learn the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome. We will be discussing along with that, some of the natural ways to ease the condition as well.
(People Also Like To Read: 6 Ways To Improve Your Child’s Digital Health And Wellness)
What Premenstrual Syndrome?
Let us first get to the basic idea for those who might still not know about it. Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) has a wide variety of signs and symptoms, including mood swings, tender breasts, food cravings, fatigue, irritability, and depression. It’s estimated that as many as 3 of every 4 menstruating women have experienced some form of premenstrual syndrome.
Types of symptoms of premenstrual syndrome can you experience
Unknown to many, the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome may not be only physical but emotional and psychological too. Hence we list here the two types.
1. Emotional Symptoms of Premenstrual syndrome
You might be surprised but yes, there are mood swings and other emotional and psychological changes during premenstrual syndrome that you hardly notice. It is mainly again due to your hormonal imbalance, but it does prolong enough to be a symptom. These may include the following:
- Depressed mood
- Crying spells
- Mood swings and irritability or anger
- Appetite changes and food cravings
- Trouble falling asleep (insomnia)
- Social withdrawal
- Poor concentration
- Change in libido
2. Physical symptoms of premenstrual syndrome
Apart from the above mentioned, you have common signs that is obvious to you. It is how your body is responding depending upon that particular pain or the syndrome. They also help you take the right kind of treatment.
- Joint or muscle pain
- Weight gain related to fluid retention
- Breast tenderness
- Acne flare-ups
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Alcohol intolerance
For some, the physical pain and emotional stress are severe enough to affect their daily lives. Regardless of symptom severity, the signs and symptoms generally disappear within four days after the start of the menstrual period for most women.
But a small number of women with premenstrual syndrome have disabling symptoms every month. This form of PMS is called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD).
(You Might Also Like To Read: Treatment for Pancreatitis, Keep It On Priority)
Ways you can ease the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome
1. Manage Diet
- Have prominent meals to reduce bloating and the sensation of fullness.
- Control your salt intake to reduce bloating and fluid retention.
- Select foods that are high in carbohydrates like- fruits, vegetables, and whole grains.
- Have foods that are rich in calcium.
- Especially avoid caffeine and alcohol.
Here’s what’s known about the effectiveness of complementary remedies used to soothe the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome:
- Vitamin supplements: It’s proved in periods taking calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and vitamin B-6 helps to soothe symptoms.
- Herbal Remedies: There are many women who have used herbs in their PMS symptoms like- ginkgo, ginger, chaste berry (Vitex Agnus), evening primrose oil. Although, few scientific studies have found that any herbs are effective for the relief of PMS symptoms. Consult with a doctor before taking any of the herbal products, as they may have side effects or interact with other medications that you’re already taking.
- Acupuncture: This is the best thing to take in PMS the acupressure softly inserts sterilized stainless steel needles into the skin at specific areas on the body. After this procedure, women start to experience relief and calm. So it’s good to do some yoga or massage to relax and relieve the stress in periods.
3. Get a Full Eight Hours Sleep
It seems so simple, but you can fight that drained feeling so much better on a full night’s sleep. Bonus: beauty rest! When you wake up from a deep sleep, it gives you a fresh, confident look even when you feel your yuckiest.
We hope, we have made sure you feel better about symptoms of premenstrual syndrome after having a better knowledge and ways to ease them. In case, the condition is worse, you can always consult a doctor. Download the GoMedii App and book yourself an online consultation right away.
(People Also Like To Read: 7 Extreme Bad Side Effects Of Using Phone While Eating)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.