Obesity in children is spreading like an epidemic in many developing and developed countries of the world. According to the World Health Organization, about 20 million children worldwide are overweight, whose age is less than 5 years.
(People Also Like To Read: 5 Best And Natural Ways To Enhance Your Memory)
In today’s time, this problem is seen mostly in developing countries. You would be surprised to know that according to the International Obesity Task Force, there are some areas of Africa where children are more obese than malnutrition.
Causes of obesity in children
There are so many reasons for this increase in obesity among children. These include non-nutritious food, junk food, highly fatty food, excess sugar, and salt. At the same time, they prefer watching TV, internet surfing, computer, and mobile games, etc but they do not want to play outside.
They prefer no physical exercise throughout the day and because of this, the children become more obese day by day. Also sometimes obesity is also genetic and that is, if the parents are obese then the child will also be obese. It is very difficult to get rid of such obesity.
India ranks second after China in obesity in children. There are other diseases that may occur due to obesity, they have many health-related complications in childhood, such as-
- Being a victim of high blood pressure at a young age
- Heart diseases are beginning to surround them
- Trouble breathing
Apart from this, many emotional illnesses can also occur due to obesity in children and adolescents. Such teenagers may also have problems like lack of enthusiasm, inferiority with others, stress, irritability etc.
(You Might Also Like To Read: How To Manage Home Isolation With Mild Symptoms)
Symptoms of obesity in children
If we talk about all the children then it is not obesity, only a few children have more weight than the average. There are many children whose body fat levels also vary during their physical development. BMI is used to measure the weight and length of the child its statistics are considered correct for obesity.
However, doctors use BMI’s growth chart to check obesity in children. Apart from this, it helps others to find out what other health problems can cause the weight of your child. As per the data source in India, there are 14.4 million children are obese.
- Having thyroid problems
- Always feeling tired
- Having trouble doing anything
- Having diabetes disorder
- Not getting enough sleep
- Joint pain
How to manage obesity in children
- The first and most important thing is to change the food habits of your children.
- It is the parent’s responsibility to guide their children on how to choose the right food (eg reduce food rich in carbohydrates, avoid eating junk and fast food).
- Guide and motivate your children to start the weight management program on their own.
- Try to make their daily routine as active as possible.
- Maintain the number of calories throughout your day.
- Parents should always keep in mind what their child eats in school or when he/she is out.
- Everyone in your family should get together and eat. Change the habits and avoid watching television or sitting in front of the computer while having lunch or dinner.
- In order to reduce obesity in children, they will have to change their eating habits.
- They should eat as per the requirement of nutrition, not according to the taste of food presented, as being kids the tend to overeat if they have their favorite food in front of them, these habits may lead to an unhealthy body in the future.
We have also told you what are the causes and symptoms of obesity in children and how to protect your child from it. If your child is not benefiting from these measures then you can consult our doctor.
(People Also Like To Read: What Is Herd Immunity And How It Works)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.