Colon cancer is one of the top leading causes of deaths worldwide amongst all cancers. Also called colorectal cancer, is the second leading cause of cancer death for men and women combined. It is the third leading cause of cancer death in men and the third leading cause of cancer death in women. Colon cancer treatment hospitals in India are equipped with cutting-edge technology to provide an on-point diagnosis along with personalized treatment.
Read on to learn more!
(People Also Like To Read: Uterine Cancer Treatment in India: Treatment, Costs, Hospitals, etc)
All About Colon Cancer
Colon cancer is a type of cancer that begins in the large intestine of the human body, also called colon. The large intestine is the final part of the digestive tract and is responsible for processing the waste food before it being excreted out of the body.
Colorectal cancer starts as non-cancerous growths called polyps in the lower end of the digestive tract which can turn into cancerous tumors if not diagnosed and removed on time.
1. What Are The Causes Of Colon Cancer?
Like other cancers, colon cancer happens when the cells in the colorectal tract (specifically colon) start to divide and grow uncontrollably. Researchers don’t know the exact cause behind the onset of colon cancer or why certain people develop polyps in the inner lining of their colon.
2. What Are The Symptoms Of Colon Cancer?
It is possible to develop colon cancer without any symptoms. Even if you do develop symptoms, it will be hard to diagnose without proper tests as the symptoms are similar to symptoms of less serious conditions. Some of the symptoms are:
- Blood in your feces: If your stool is dark or bright red in colour, or blood in the toilet after you poop or after wiping, do get a check-up to be sure.
- Persistent changes in your bowel movements: This includes persistent constipation or/and diarrhea, and the need to poop after going to the bathroom.
- Abdominal pain: Belly pain includes frequent pains, pain with no cause that doesn’t go away or hurts a lot.
- Bloated stomach: If the bloating lasts for more than a week or/and is accompanied by vomiting, contact your healthcare provider to get tested.
- Vomiting: This includes vomiting periodically for no reason or have vomited a lot in the last 24 hours.
- Fatigue and feeling short of breath: This is a sign of anemia, and anemia can be an indication of colon cancer.
14 Best Colon Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
There are many colon cancer treatment hospitals in India. These hospitals house the latest medical technology for early and accurate cancer diagnosis. These hospitals are known for their quality, personalized in-patient care as well as palliative care. The treatment from these hospitals not only fit the budget of the client but also gives the best result. GoMedii has compiled a list of 14 best colon cancer treatment hospitals in India for you to get affordable and hassle-free treatment.
- Apollo Hospitals, Bannerghatta, Bangalore
- Cytecare Cancer Hospitals, Bangalore
- Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital, Bangalore
- Nanavati Super Specialty Hospital, Mumbai
- Medanta the Medicity, Gurugram
- Max Super Specialty Hospital, Saket, Delhi
- Gleneagles Global Hospital, Hyderabad
- Care Institute of Medical Sciences, Ahmedabad
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- Batra Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Delhi
- Fortis Hospital, Ahmedabad
- Venkateshwar Hospital, Delhi
- Fortis Malar Hospital, Chennai
What Are The Risk Factors For Developing Colon Cancer?
Majorly, medical conditions and certain lifestyle choices are the major risk factors for developing colon cancer, such as:
- Smoking: It includes tobacco, e-cigarettes, etc.
- Gender: Males and people assigned male at birth (AMAB) are at a higher risk of developing colon cancer as compared to females and people assigned female at birth (AFAB).
- Age: People who are above 45 years have a higher chance of developing colon cancer.
- Diet rich in meat: Mainly includes red meat or processed meat.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Your risk of colon cancer increases if you have conditions like chronic ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s colitis. This risk increases if you have had IBD for more than 7 years.
- Inherited Conditions: Conditions like Lynch syndrome and familial adenomatous polyposis increases the risk of developing colon cancer.
- Family history: If a blood relative (especially parents, sibling and children) had colon cancer, your risk of developing the same automatically increases.
- Advanced polyps: If any of your blood-related family member/s has had advanced polyps, your risk of colon cancer can increase.
- Genes: If you carry an oncogene or have inherited genes causing you to develop many polyps, you have an increases risk of getting colon cancer.
- Alcohol abuse
- Sedentary lifestyle
(You Might Also Like To Read: Breast Cancer Treatment in India: Costs, Treatments and Hospitals)
Cost Of Colon Cancer Treatment in India
Many colon cancer treatment hospitals in India can get you treated for between $6500 to $8000.
How To Diagnose Colon Cancer?
There are many methods to diagnose colon cancer. The methods are divided into two – Screening tests and Diagnostic tests. Colon cancer treatment hospitals in India offer both screening and diagnostic tests, depending on the symptoms you show.
1. Screening Tests
Screening tests are done when you show no signs or symptoms of cancer. In any abnormalities show up, diagnostic tests are done to confirm the presence and do the staging of cancer.
- Colonoscopy: It is the most common screening test where a colonoscope is inserted inside the colon via anus to look for abnormalities.
- Fecal immunochemical test (FIT): This test is done to detect hidden blood in your feces.
- Guaiac-based fecal occult blood test (gFOBT): This test also looks for blood in your feces that naked eyes can’t see.
- Fecal DNA test: This test looks for genetic mutations and blood products in your stool.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy: A flexible sigmoidoscope is used to look into your colon and rectum.
- Virtual colonoscopy: An X-ray that looks for polyps or cancer growth in your colorectal region.
2. Diagnostic tests
Diagnostic tests are mainly done for those who are showing symptoms and are in need of a diagnosis. While screening tests can detect abnormalities, it is only diagnostic tests that can give answers.
- Complete Blood Count: CBC is a blood test that screens for any disorders or abnormalities in your blood.
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel: CMP is a blood test that provides important information about your body’s chemical balance and metabolism.
- Carcinoembryonic Antigen Assay: This test assess the levels of CEA, a specific blood protein. While the CEA levels decrease with age, some cancers can increase its levels.
- CT Scan
- MRI Scan
- PET Scan
Read more here.
What Are The Available Colon Cancer Treatment In India?
There are many ways by which colon cancer treatment hospitals in India treat the disease, out of which, surgery is the most common one.
1. Various colon cancer surgeries are:
- Polypectomy: This surgery is done to remove cancerous polyps.
- Partial colectomy: Also called colon resection surgery, the section containing the tumor is removed along with some surrounding healthy tissue. The remaining part is reconnected in a procedure called anastomosis.
- Surgical resection with colostomy: In this procedure as well, the surgeon will remove the section of the colon containing tumor. However, unlike in colectomy, your bowel is moved to an opening in your abdominal wall so your poop is collected in a bag.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Heat is used to destroy cancer cells.
Surgeries are generally combined with adjuvant therapies. These therapies can be done before or after the surgery is done.
2. Some adjuvant therapies are:
- Chemotherapy: Drugs are administered at regular intervals to destroy cancer cells.
- Targeted Therapy: The treatment targets tissues, genes and proteins that aid in cancer cell growth.
FAQs on Colon Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
1. Who are at risk of developing colon cancer?
Colorectal cancer generally affects older adults though it can happen at any age. Doctors recommend regular screening for people who have touched or crossed the age of 45.
2. What are the biggest symptoms of colon cancer?
The three major symptoms include:
- blood in the stool
- change in bowel habits
- abdominal pain
3. What is the 5-year relative survival rate of colon cancer?
For colon cancer, the overall 5-year relative survival rate for people is 63%. If the cancer is diagnosed at a localized stage, the survival rate is 91%. If the cancer has spread to surrounding tissues or organs and/or the regional lymph nodes, the 5-year relative survival rate is 72%.
Choose GoMedii for the best Colon Cancer Treatment Hospitals in India
If you are looking for the best colon cancer treatment hospitals in India, you are at the right place and time! Trust GoMedii with your treatment; we assure you of a top-notch, hassle-free process.
We have tie-ups with one of India’s most reputed hospitals to get you the best treatment at an affordable cost. Furthermore, to avail of our packages, You Can Contact us on our Website and WhatsApp (+91 9654030724) or call us at 9599004811. Additionally, you can also email us at email@example.com. Our team will respond to you on a priority basis.
Feel free to drop your queries through this “form.” Our team of experts will contact you!
(People Also Like To Read: Top 10 Hospitals For Stomach Cancer Treatment In India)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.