What is Heart Bypass Surgery?
It is a surgical procedure for treating coronary heart disease (CAD). The surgery can relieve the chest pain caused by CAD and slow its progression, thus increasing life expectancy. Coronary Heart Disease is the narrowing of the coronary arteries, the blood vessels that supply oxygen-rich blood to other parts of the body, due to the deposition of plaque (fatty material) within the walls of the arteries.
(People Also Like To Read: Answering Patient’s Queries – One At A Time!: Part 2)
The surgery is done by bypassing the blocked section of the artery. Grafts or healthy blood vessels are taken from other body parts, such as the leg, chest, or wrist. One end of the graft is attached above the block, and the other end is attached below the block. Doing this creates an alternate path for the blood to flow and reach the heart muscle.
Other names for this surgery are:
- Coronary artery bypass grafting
- CABG — pronounced, “cabbage.”
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
One must remember that coronary artery bypass grafting doesn’t cure the disease causing the blockage, such as atherosclerosis or CAD. But it can relieve you of its symptoms like shortness of breath and chest pain.
Many healthcare professionals, such as cardiologists, perfusionists, etc., are involved in such surgeries.
Top 13 Hospitals for Heart Bypass Surgery in India
GoMedii has compiled a list of the top 13 hospitals offering heart bypass surgery in India. These hospitals have cutting-edge medical equipment to provide hassle-free, seamless treatment.
- Apollo Hospitals, Bannerghatta, Bangalore
- Lilavati Hospital and Research Centre, Mumbai
- Fortis Hospital, Bangalore
- Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
- Nanavati Super Specialty Hospital, Mumbai
- Medanta the Medicity, Gurugram
- Max Super Specialty Hospital, Saket, Delhi
- Gleneagles Global Hospital, Hyderabad
- Care Institute of Medical Sciences, Ahmedabad
- BLK Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- Batra Hospital and Medical Research Centre, Delhi
- Fortis Hospital, Ahmedabad
- Venkateshwar Hospital, New Delhi
Variations in Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery
In traditional open heart bypass surgery in India, the surgeon cuts open the chest bone or sternum length-wise. Once the heart is exposed, tubes are inserted into it so that the blood can be pumped through the body by a heart-lung bypass machine. But with advancements in medical technology, many variations in CABG surgery in India have come up.
These variations are:
- Off-pump CABG: A heart-lung bypass machine is not used in this type of CABG surgery. It means that the surgeon won’t be stopping your heart during your surgery; your heart will be beating while the surgery takes place.
- Minimally invasive CABG: Unlike the traditional method where the sternum is cut open in half, the surgeon makes a keyhole incision to access your heart through the gap between your ribs.
- Robot-assisted CABG: Advanced robotic instruments are used to perform this surgery. In this, the surgeon controls the instrument through the console. This technique also involves making tiny incisions to access the heart without cutting or lifting the chest bone.
- Hybrid procedure: The CABG surgery combines other heart operations such as Stenting. At least one artery undergoes CABG surgery while the rest undergoes other non-CABG processes.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Where to Get Colorectal Surgery in India?)
Why Should I Undergo CABG Surgery?
Heart bypass is a significant surgery that treats significant symptoms of coronary heart disease. Heart bypass surgery in India is not only affordable but also very safe. Such operations are done under the supervision of renowned medical experts in cardiology. You may undergo CABG surgery if:
- A blockage in the left main heart artery
- Severe narrowing of the main heart artery
- Severe chest pain caused by the narrowing of several heart arteries
- More than one diseased heart artery and your lower left heart chamber don’t work well.
- A blocked heart artery that can’t be treated with coronary angioplasty
- An angioplasty with or without a stent that hasn’t worked
What Diseases Are Treated With Heart Bypass Surgery?
The surgery treats conditions that come with coronary heart disease. Those are:
- Heart attack
- Coronary artery disease
- Angina pectoris
- Silent myocardial ischemia
What is the Cost of Heart Bypass Surgery in India?
Depending upon the number of blockages and the technique applied for conducting the surgery, the cost of heart bypass surgery in India ranges from $4000 to $5000.
How Do I Prepare for Heart Bypass Surgery?
It is essential to consult your doctor before you decide to have the surgery.
- Quit smoking. It will only increase the complications with your surgery.
- Plan for your care and recovery after the operation.
- Do not eat or drink for 8 hours before the surgery.
- Have a thorough discussion with your doctor regarding your medical history.
What Tests are Conducted Before Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery?
There are various tests that one has to undergo before the surgery. These tests determine whether you are fit to undergo surgery or if you need the surgery or not in the first place. The tests are:
- Exercise stress test
- Nuclear cardiac stress test
- Cardiac catheterization
- X-ray angiography or computed tomography (CT) scan angiography.
- Coronary calcium scan
Lab tests, such as a complete blood count that analyze your cholesterol, blood sugar, and other factors, are also conducted. Other possible tests include urine tests that examine how well your kidneys function.
What is the Procedure for CABG Surgery in India?
Heart bypass surgery is an effective procedure that involves complex processes. Medical procedures like Heart Bypass Surgery in India are only done by highly-qualified surgeons, having years of experience.
1. Anesthesia and Life Support: The first significant step is to put you in a deep sleep using general anesthesia. A state of deep sleep will keep you from feeling any pain. As CABG is a complex surgery that involves your heart, it involves multiple types of life support, such as:
- Intubation and Ventilation: Intubation is when a tube is inserted in your windpipe via the throat. The tube is attached to a ventilator. The lungs still process the air you breathe, but the ventilator makes the air move.
- Intravenous Lines: The IV lines are the tubes attached to your body through your veins (hand or wrist) that directly diffuse the medicines and fluids into your bloodstream.
- Urinary Catheter: A tube inserted into your urethra is called a catheter. This tube allows your urine to drain through the pipe into a plastic bag. This lets you unconsciously pee even when you are under general anesthesia.
- Heart-lung bypass: During the surgery, this machine takes over the functioning of your heart and the lungs. The machine lets the surgeon temporarily stop your heart to do the surgical work easily.
2. Blood Vessel Harvesting: A healthy blood vessel is harvested from other parts of your body, such as your chest, leg, or arm, to create a bypass around the blocked section of the artery. If multiple blocks are there, various bypasses may be required.
3. Surgery: To access your heart, a surgeon will make an incision in the center of your chest and split your breastbone. This allows them to lift your rib cage and create a bypass using a harvested blood vessel. The upper end of the bypass is attached to the aorta, while the lower end is connected to the blocked artery. The surgeon may restart your heart and lower your rib cage, wiring it together for healing. Finally, they’ll close the incision using staples and sutures.
What are the Benefits of Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery?
Heart bypass surgery is one of the most commonly done surgeries in India. Not only that, expert surgeons only do such surgeries. The advantages of heart bypass surgery are:
- The surgery has been taking place since the 1960s. Constant research and medical advancements in its methods have made it one of the most reliable and sophisticated surgeries for heart-related problems.
- Studies have linked heart bypass surgery with improved long-term outcomes, including better survival odds.
- It is the best surgery for people having multiple blockages in their hearts. It is also considered a superior procedure for blockages in certain places.
- The risk of getting a follow-up surgery or other medical procedure decreases with coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
What are the Risks of Heart Bypass Surgery?
Like any other surgery, there are certain risks associated with CABG surgery. Some of them are:
- Arrhythmias: Atrial fibrillation is the most common arrhythmia after CABG, but it is only a temporary concern.
- Bleeding: CABG is a major surgery, and just like with any major surgery, there is a risk of excessive bleeding. To avoid this, people who are on blood thinners may need to stop taking them.
- Infection: This is a common complication with all types of surgeries. But infections have become rare with the introduction of newer and advanced techniques such as robotic surgery.
- Delirium: Major surgeries can cause confusion in some people with symptoms like abnormal behavior, memory problems, trouble thinking clearly, etc.
- Heart attack
- Kidney problems
Choose GoMedii for affordable Heart Bypass Surgery in India
If you are looking for affordable heart bypass surgery in India, you are at the right place and time! Trust GoMedii with your treatment; we assure you of a top-notch, hassle-free process.
We have tie-ups with one of India’s most reputed hospitals to get you the best treatment at an affordable cost. Furthermore, to avail of our packages, You Can Contact us on our Website and WhatsApp (+91 9654030724) or call us at 9599004811. Additionally, you can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team will respond to you on a priority basis.
Feel free to drop your queries through this “form.” Our team of experts will contact you!
(People Also Like To Read: Types of Breast Cancer Surgeries in India)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.