- 1 What Is A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery?
- 2 Why is Hip Joint Replacement Surgery done?
- 3 Risk Factors Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
- 4 Types Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
- 5 What Happens During A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery?
- 6 Ideal Candidate For A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
- 7 Benefits Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
- 8 Hip Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals
- 9 Best Knee Joint Replacement Surgery Apollo Hospitals
- 10 Recovery Time From Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
What Is A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery?
It is a surgical procedure, also known as hip arthroplasty, that involves the removal of damaged portions of the hip joint and their replacement with fresh, artificial components. These artificial components replicate how the hip joint works in nature.
(People Also Like To Read: Hip And Knee Joint Replacement Surgery Hospitals In Mumbai)
Why is Hip Joint Replacement Surgery done?
Various conditions can damage the hip joint and lead to hip joint replacement surgery, such as:
- Osteoarthritis: Known as wear-and-tear arthritis, destroys the smooth cartilage that covers the end bones and aids in joint motion.
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Rheumatoid arthritis, caused by an overactive immune system, results in an inflammation that can destroy joint cartilage and occasionally the underlying bone, leading to broken and misshapen joints.
- Osteonecrosis: The bone may collapse and distort if there is insufficient blood supply to the hip joint ball, which could result from a dislocation or fracture.
Hip replacement may be an option if hip pain:
- Persists even when taking painkillers
- Worsens when using a walker or cane to move around
- Disruptive to sleep
- Impedes one’s ability to climb or descend stairs
- makes it challenging to get out of a seated posture
Risk Factors Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
Risks associated with hip replacement surgery can include:
- Blood clots: After surgery, clots in leg veins can be dangerous, potentially causing clot breakage to the lung, heart, or brain, but blood-thinning medications can mitigate this risk.
- Infection: Infections near the new hip can occur at the incision site and deeper tissue, typically treated with antibiotics, but a significant infection may necessitate surgery.
- Fracture: During surgery, hip joint fractures can be healed independently, but more extensive fractures may require stabilization using wires, screws, metal plates, or bone grafts.
- Dislocation: Positions can cause the new joint ball to come out, requiring braces or surgery for hip dislocation.
- Change in leg length: Surgeons prevent leg length differences due to hip contracture, which can be resolved by gradually strengthening and stretching muscles, with minor differences usually unnoticed after a few months.
- Loosening: Newer implants may cause hip pain due to loosening joints, which may require surgery despite the rare complication.
- Nerve damage: The implant may cause numbness, weakness, and pain in the area where the nerves are placed, but this rare occurrence is rare.
Types Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
There are different options for hip joint replacement surgery that you can choose from:
1. Total Hip Replacement
Total hip replacement is a standard orthopaedic procedure involving the removal of the hip joint and replacement with a hip implant, either as a total or half replacement.
2. Partial Hip Replacement
This procedure replaces the ball in the hip joint, not the socket, and is usual in older people, typically following a hip fracture after a fall.
3. Hip Revision Surgery
Hip revision surgery, also known as repeat hip replacement, is a procedure that involves replacing a patient’s artificial hip joint if it becomes loose, infected, or worn out.
4. Hip Resurfacing
A hip replacement procedure called hip resurfacing removes less bone from the joint. Only younger folks with stronger bones can use it effectively.
5. Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery
This method exposes the hip through one or more smaller incisions. The purpose of this therapy is to lessen discomfort and hasten healing. Not all patients will be good candidates for the procedure.
What Happens During A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery?
Surgeons might inject your spinal block for the lower half of your body and put you in a sleep-like state while injecting anaesthetic around nerves and joints to block the pain.
During the procedure:
This surgical procedure takes around two hours to perform:
- Makes a tissue-layer-through incision above the hip.
- Leaves healthy bones untouched while removing sick and damaged bones and cartilage.
- Insert the replacement socket into the pelvic bone.
- Place a replacement ball on top of the metal stem inserted into the top of the thigh bone.
After the procedure:
- After surgery, they moved to a recovery area for a few hours. Medical staff will note your blood pressure, pulse, alertness, pain or comfort levels, and your time-to-time medications.
- The doctor may ask you to breathe, cough, or blow into the device to keep fluid out of your lungs and monitor how long you stay after surgery, any complications you are facing, etc.
Ideal Candidate For A Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
Hip replacement surgery is not categorically restricted by age or weight.
Surgery recommendations are based on a patient’s pain level and disability, not age. Age 50 to 80 is the typical range for individuals undergoing complete hip replacement. However, orthopaedic surgeons evaluate each patient individually. From young teenagers with juvenile arthritis to elderly patients with degenerative arthritis, total hip replacements have been successfully performed at all ages.
Benefits Of Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
1. Pain Relief
Successful hip surgery offers improved mobility and long-lasting results, with the main benefits being pain relief, improved quality of life, and affecting all areas of life.
2. High Success Rate
The success rate of hip replacement surgery is very high. A staggering 95% of patients say they are pleased with their surgery. Just 5% of patients encounter a complication of some kind, the severity of which impacts how well their operation went.
3. Improved Strength & Mobility
The following significant advantage after pain alleviation is improved mobility and strength. Patients recovering from hip replacement surgery should be able to walk and climb stairs without assistance.
4. Long-lasting Results
Artificial hip implants are made to last a lifetime. According to the most recent studies, 80–85% of hip replacements are still functional 20 years after being implanted. Older people are, therefore, less likely to require hip revision surgery.
5. Enhanced Quality of Life
Improved quality of life can be significantly enhanced by regaining the ability to perform simple tasks, enhancing mental well-being, and providing greater independence to patients.
Hip Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals
The hip joint replacement surgery cost in Apollo hospitals is around USD 6000 to USD 8000.
Best Knee Joint Replacement Surgery Apollo Hospitals
Explore India’s leading hospitals recognized for their specialized treatment of hip injuries. Uncover the state-of-the-art medical amenities and advanced therapies available to ensure optimal patient care. GoMedii has curated a comprehensive list of top hip joint replacement surgery Apollo hospitals, offering cost-effective and seamless healthcare solutions.
The hospitals are:
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai
- Apollo Hospitals Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
- Apollo Hospitals, Bannerghatta Road, Bangalore
- Apollo Hospital Enterprise Limited, Mumbai
- Apollo Specialty Hospital, Chennai
- Apollo Gleneagles, Kolkata
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital New Delhi, Delhi NCR
- Apollo Hospitals City Centre, Ahmedabad
- Apollo Children’s Hospital, Chennai
Recovery Time From Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
Recovery from a hip replacement can take two to four weeks on average, although every person is different. It depends on several variables, such as how active you were before surgery, age, diet, underlying medical concerns, and other aspects of your health and lifestyle.
FAQs: Know Everything About Hip Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals
1. Is hip replacement a major operation?
Each year, thousands of hip replacements happen without any complications. However, hip replacement is considered a significant operation with some risks, but you should consult your surgeon to avoid risks and complications.
2. Is hip joint replacement surgery painful?
Recovery time depends on every patient’s factors. However, you can experience surgical pain for around two to four weeks.
3. What is the difference between a hip replacement and a joint replacement?
The acetabulum, or hip socket, and the head of the femur are removed during hip replacement surgery and replaced with metal reproductions. Replacement joints are often constructed of a ceramic material containing titanium, zirconia, and alumina.
4. Who is not a good candidate for hip replacement surgery?
Patients with hip infections, sepsis, morbid obesity, and severe muscle weakness may not be good candidates for hip replacement.
5. At what stage is hip replacement recommended?
Individuals who require a cane, cannot ascend stairs, or cannot put on shoes should start considering hip replacement.
6. What three things should be avoided after hip replacement?
You must keep in mind not to do these:
- Avoid crossing your legs at the knees for at least 6 to 8 weeks.
- Avoid raising your knee above your hip.
- Never slouch or lean forward while sitting.
- When you are seated, avoid attempting to pick up something that is on the floor.
- When bending down, avoid unnecessarily turning your feet inward or outward.
Choose GoMedii For The Best And Affordable Hip Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals
If you want the best and most affordable Hip Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals, you are at the right place and time! Trust GoMedii with your treatment; we assure you of a top-notch, hassle-free process.
We have tie-ups with one of India’s most reputed hospitals to get you the best treatment at an affordable cost. Furthermore, to avail of our packages, you can contact us on our “Website” or call us at +91 9599004311. Additionally, you can also email us at email@example.com. Our team will respond to you on a priority basis.
Feel free to drop your queries through this form. Our team of experts will contact you!
(People Also Like To Read: Knee Joint Replacement Surgery Cost In Apollo Hospitals)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.