MND is accurately diagnosed in India, and for ALS patients who require surgical treatment, 90% of those who underwent the surgery showed a reduction in symptoms. Motor Neuron Disease Treatment in India includes a combination of therapies. Moreover, there is abundant evidence demonstrating the effectiveness of such treatments.
(People Also Like To Read: Pancreatic Cancer Treatment in India: The Journey of Courage and Healing)
Motor Neuron Disease
Diseases favor no one. Some of the most famous personalities of our times, such as Dr. Stephen Hawking and Mao Zedong had been inflicted with the disease. MND is an uncommon but deadly condition that affects the brain and nerves.
The term MND is commonly used for a group of neural diseases wherein the nerves start degenerating, and eventually die. This causes the muscles to become weaker and weaker, eventually leading to paralysis. Doctors call this condition atrophy.
The MND disease group includes:
- Lou Gehrig’s disease, also known as Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS)
- Progressive Muscular Atrophy (PMA)
- Progressive Bulbar Palsy (PBP)
- Primary Lateral Sclerosis (PLS)
- Kennedy’s disease, also known as Spinal and Bulbar Muscular Atrophy (SBMA)
What are the Symptoms of MND?
MND starts slowly and deteriorates over time. Symptoms are usually seen on one side of the body before the rest. They include:
- weakness in their hands and grip
- slurred speech
- weakness in their legs, and a tendency to trip
- weakness of their shoulder, making lifting difficult
- cramps and muscles twitching
At a later stage, the patients become very weak and start facing problems with basic movements such as breathing or swallowing. It doesn’t affect your basic five senses.
What is the Main Cause of MND?
The exact reason behind the onset of MND is unknown. However, a combination of environment, lifestyle, and genetic factors are believed to be behind it. The condition is also considered to be inherited, as 1 in 10 cases are familial in nature. It can be due to mutation or genetic error.
Tests and Diagnosis
As MND is a progressive disease, it’s hard to diagnose it at an early stage. The symptoms are generally mild and non-specific, which could be related to other conditions. There’s no one specific test to single out MND.
To help rule out other conditions, a neurologist may arrange:
- blood tests
- a scan of your brain and spine
- tests to measure the electrical activity in your muscles and nerves
- a lumbar puncture (also called a spinal tap) – is when a thin needle is used to remove and test the fluid from within your spine
Can Motor Neuron Disease be Treated?
No, there is no permanent cure for MND, but suitable treatments can help ease the symptoms, maintain the quality of life and keep you as mobile as possible for as long as possible.
The treatments include:
- highly specialized clinics, typically involving a specialist nurse and occupational therapist to help make everyday tasks easier
- physiotherapy and exercises to maintain strength and reduce stiffness
- advice from a speech and language therapist (speech therapy)
- advice from a dietitian about diet and eating
- a medicine called riluzole that can slightly slow down the progression of the condition
- medicines to relieve muscle stiffness and help with saliva problems
- emotional support for you and your carer
(You Might Also Like To Read: Top 10 IVF Hospitals in India – Your Key to Parenthood!)
What is the Cost of Motor Neuron Disease Treatment in India?
The average cost of Motor Neuron Disease Treatment in India ranges from USD 3800 to USD 7600. Although there is no treatment for MND, a range of treatments are available to reduce the impact the symptoms may have on your life. Even the medicines such as riluzole cost $200 for 60 tablets as compared to the USA (charging $800 for the same!)
Best Hospitals for Motor Neuron Disease Treatment in India
The motor neuron disease treatment in India is not only affordable but also one of the best when it comes to medical advancements. Team GoMedii has compiled a list of top hospitals for motor neuron disease treatment in India.
- Max Hospital, Shalimar Bagh, Delhi
- Sarvodaya Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram, Haryana
- Apollo Gleneagles, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Jasola Vihar, Delhi
- MGM Healthcare Pvt Ltd, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute, Paschim Vihar, Delhi
- ORG Super specialty Hospital, Faridabad, Haryana
- Jaypee Hospital, NOIDA, Uttar Pradesh
- Fortis Malar Hospital, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
FAQs on Motor Neuron Disease Treatment in India
Is there a cure for MND in India?
There is no cure for Motor Neuron Disease, not just in India, but anywhere in the world. But therapies such as occupational therapy, speech and language therapy, and physiotherapy along with medicines can improve the quality of life. A medicine called riluzole has been found to prolong the life of patients inflicted with MND. Motor neuron disease treatment in India covers all the possible options to provide relief to patients.
What is the best treatment for motor neuron disease?
There are many therapies and medications available to help you relieve the symptoms of MND. While these therapies stop your muscles from going to waste, the medicines such as quinine help in slowing down the damage done by MND.
What are some other treatments available for MND?
If therapies don’t work, then one can turn to surgery or Botox. Surgery is done in very rare cases of MND (like ALS) and is for slowing down the progression of MND symptoms like twitches. Botox, on the other hand, is used to ease stiffness and muscle cramps. It is generally combined with physiotherapy. Stem Cell Therapy is being considered for motor neuron disease treatment in India. The cost of stem cell therapy in India ranges from $6000 to $14,000.
How to prevent motor neuron disease?
Certain lifestyle changes can help in keeping motor neuron disease at bay, namely:
- Avoid vigorous exercises
- Keep a check on your cholesterol level
- Add certain nutrients to your diet such as vitamin E, statins, antioxidants
- Maintain a healthy Body Mass Index
- Avoid exposure to toxins and chemicals as much as possible
What causes motor neuron disease?
Researchers are yet to identify the exact cause of MND but it is believed that factors such as genetics, lifestyle, and environment are the topmost causes behind the onset of this disease. Scientists have found that around 10% of all MND cases are sporadic, while the rest develop 90% randomly.
(People Also Like To Read: Rely On These Top 10 Cancer Hospitals in India)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.