Gender affirmation or sex reassignment surgery refers to procedures that are performed to help people transition to their self-identified gender. Gender-affirming options include top surgery, facial surgery, or bottom surgery. According to reports, most people who choose gender affirmation surgeries improved mental health and quality of life. Contact us to get more information about it.
(People Also Like To Read: Treatment For Parkinson’s Disease In India, Know Here!)
What is gender affirmation surgery?
Sex reassignment surgery is the procedure that helps people transition to their self-identified gender. Nowadays, many people prefer to use the terms gender confirmation or affirmation surgery.
Why is Sex Reassignment Surgery In India done?
People go through surgery so that their physical body matches their gender identity. People who experience gender dysphoria choose gender affirmation surgery. Gender dysphoria refers to the distress that occurs when the sex assigned at birth does not match people’s gender identity.
Go for an easy and affordable Sex Reassignment Surgery in India, by choosing GoMedii. Contact us now!
What are the types of sex affirmation surgery?
Gender-affirming surgery gives transgender people a body that aligns with their gender identity. It involves procedures on the chest, face, or genitalia.
Common transgender surgery options include:
- Facial reconstructive surgery is performed to make facial features more masculine or feminine.
- Chest surgery also known as “Top surgery” is performed to remove breast tissue to enhance breast size and shape and to give a more masculine appearance for a more feminine appearance.
- Genital surgery also called “Bottom surgery” is done to reconstruct and transform the genitalia.
How common is sex affirmation surgery?
Surveys report that every 1 in 4 nonbinary and transgender people choose gender affirmation surgery.
How much can sex reassignment surgery in India cost?
The cost for gender reassignment surgery in India ranges from $1500 to $10,000 based on the type of surgery and hospital you choose. Choose to go for an easy, affordable, and hustle-free treatment by choosing GoMedii as your treatment partner. Contact us now!
Major Procedure Details During The Surgery
What happens before sex affirmation surgery?
Before surgery, people should look for a trusted doctor. A doctor can help them understand the benefits and risks of all surgery options.
Many insurance companies require people to submit specific documentation before they will cover a gender-affirming surgery.
This documentation includes:
- Health records show consistent gender dysphoria.
- Letter of support from a therapist, such as a social worker or psychiatrist.
What happens during sex reassignment surgery?
What happens during the surgery depends on the procedure. They might choose facial surgery, top surgery, bottom surgery, or a combination of these operations.
Facial surgery is done to change their:
- Cheekbones: Many transgender women have injections to enhance their cheekbones.
- Chin: People might opt to soften or more prominently define their chin’s angles.
- Jaw-line: A surgeon might shave down their jawbone or use fillers to enhance their jaw-line.
- Nose: They might have a rhinoplasty, surgery to reshape the nose.
For a transgender woman (assigned male at birth or AMAB), other surgeries may include:
- Breast reduction or mastectomy.
- Hysterectomy and Oophorectomy – Removal of the ovaries and uterus.
- Phalloplasty, Metoidioplasty, and scrotoplasty- Construction of a penis and scrotum.
- Adam’s apple reduction.
- Placement of breast implants also known as breast augmentation.
- Removal of the penis and scrotum is referred to as penectomy and orchiectomy.
- The construction of a vagina and labia is also called feminizing genitoplasty.
If you are a transgender man (assigned female at birth or AFAB), you might have surgeries that involve:
Jaw and Chin surgery
The swelling that occurred after this surgery fades within two weeks. It might take up to four months for swelling to disappear.
Cheek and nose surgery
Swelling occurs during this surgery and lasts for around two to four weeks.
Soreness and Swelling last for one to two weeks. You will need to avoid vigorous activities for at least one month.
Most people do not resume usual activities until at least six weeks after surgery. You will need weekly follow-ups with your doctor for a few months. These visits ensure that you are healing well.
It’s important to understand that, for most people, surgery is only one part of the transitioning process. After surgery, you should continue to work with a therapist or counselor. This professional can support you with social transitioning and your mental health.
To get affordable surgery, drop a query our team will contact you soon.
What happens after gender affirmation surgery?
Recovery times depend on what procedures or combination of procedures you have:
What are the benefits of sex affirmation surgery?
Research has shown that transgender individuals who choose gender-affirming surgery experience long-term mental health benefits. In one study, a person’s odds of needing mental health treatment declined by 8% each year after the gender-affirming procedure.
(You Might Also Like To Read: Know About Pituitary Tumor Removal Cost and Treatment)
What are the risks or complications of sex affirmation surgery?
Different procedures carry different risks. For example, individuals who have bottom surgery may have changes to their sexual sensation, or trouble with bladder emptying. In general, significant complications are rare, as long as an experienced surgeon is performing the procedure.
With any surgery, there is a small risk of complications, including:
- Body rejecting the skin grafts.
- Difficult urinating till complete healing.
- Side effects of anesthesia.
Before undertaking a sex reassignment surgery, certain conditions must be met and criteria satisfied. These are:
A firm diagnosis for the transsexual condition. The criteria for these are:
- A sense of discomfort and inappropriateness about one’s sex.
- A wish to be rid of one’s genitalia and the desire to live life as a member of the opposite sex.
- This discomfort/disturbance has been continuously present for a minimum of 2 years and is not limited to a period of stress.
- An absence of genetic abnormality or physical intersex.
- Absence of a mental disorder such as schizophrenia.
Differential diagnoses for the condition may be:
- Classic trans-sexual.
- Gender dysphoria syndrome, (formerly effeminate homosexuality)
- Gender dysphoria syndrome, (formerly transvestitism)
- Gender dysphoria syndrome, psychosis.
- Gender dysphoria syndrome, psycho-neurotic sociopathy.
- Gender dysphoria syndrome, schizoid and inadequate personality.
- Requirement of referral letters from mental health professionals
A letter from one mental health professional is required for instituting hormone therapy, or for breast surgery.
a) Why is hormone therapy required
Trans-sex hormonal treatments are important for a smooth gender transition, both physically and psychologically in selected individuals with gender identity disorders. In the absence of an indigenous source, hormone therapy is medically necessary for a satisfying role in the patient’s new sex. When physicians administer androgens to biologic females and estrogens, progesterone, and testosterone-blocking agents to biologic males, patients feel and appear more like members of their preferred sex.
b) Eligibility criteria for hormone therapy
The administration of hormones is not to be taken lightly because of associated medical and social risks. The criteria are –
- Age 18 years or above.
- In-depth knowledge of what hormones can achieve medically, their social benefits, and their risks.
- A documented real-life experience of at least 3 months prior to the administration of hormones o
- A period of psychotherapy of a duration specified by the mental health professional after the initial evaluation (usually a minimum of 3 months).
Consent Forms – It is advisable to convert the b, c, and d (written below) into affidavits by paying the Notary or Court Fee and getting the countersignatures of a Notary or Magistrate, respectively. This means that now the state is a witness.
By choosing GoMedii you can get affordable Sex Reassignment Surgery in India, and get the best hospitality at an affordable range.
List of hospitals for sex reassignment surgery in India
Given list includes one of the leading and reputed hospitals of India, book an appointment through GoMedii and get treated at an affordable range in the most reputed hospitals in India.
India is known as one of the best treatment-providing countries around the globe. We provide the best treatment options for our patients with the latest technologies at the most affordable cost.
How you can book your appointment with GoMedii?
If you want Sex Reassignment Surgery in India you should choose GoMedii as your health care partner. We will provide you with a numerous list of responsible specialists and reputed hospitals at an affordable cost.
GoMedii as your treatment partner can help you to get the best treatment at an affordable cost, and through a hustle-free process. If you want to get Sex Reassignment Surgery in India, just drop your queries on our website or you can also contact us on Whatsapp (+91 9654030724) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org our team will get back to you as soon as possible.
The Content has been approved and examined by Dr. Amit Singh.
(People Also Like To Read: How Much Is Recovery Time For Knee Replacement Surgery?)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.