Women do lots of work and they do take care of everyone’s health in our family whether it is about our kids or our parents, and in all the daily chores. Usually, we ignore our health which is actually not a good sign. As a woman, the weaker part of our body is bone. So, it becomes very important to take special care of bone health in women and make sure that they are healthy, to avoid breaking it and reduce the risk of bone problems like arthritis and osteoporosis.
(People Also Like To Read:Atrophy in Women: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment and Prevention)
Women are always prone to bone issues like osteoporosis and have weaker bones by the growing age because women’s bones are thinner and smaller as compared to men naturally. The main cause to reduce women’s bone health is Estrogen, a hormone which protects bones and reduces after menopause. This can also cause reduced bone health in women.
10 Causes which can Affect Bone Health in Women?
Causes which can affect bone health in women include:
1. Age: In women’s, bones start to decrease their strength from their thirties.
2. Gender: Bone health issue like osteoporosis is very common in women.
3. Physical Activity: It is highly recommended to do regular exercise, it helps you to keep your bones strong and healthy.
4. Diet: Lack of protein, calcium, and vitamin D is the most common cause of bone health in women so it’s important to include vitamins, calcium, and protein richer food in our diet.
5. Family History of Bone Issue: You have a higher risk if any one of your parents has had bone health problems.
6. Fractures: Bone fractures after falling from a low height can also be a cause of weak bones.
7. Weight – If you have lesser weight then you are at more risk of fractures.
8. Smoking – Smoking can reduce bone density, weaken bones can increase the risk of osteoporosis.
9. Alcohol – Drinking alcohol more than 21 units in a week can increase the risk of bone health in women, as well as the risk of falls.
10. Illness and Medicine – Some illnesses have been linked to lower bone density and some drugs, like steroids and anti-epileptic drugs, may increase the risk of fractures.
7 Tips to Improve Bone Health in Women:
Here are the 7 tips which help to improve your bone health:
1. Choose Calcium-Rich Foods:
Include these calcium-rich foods in your diet
Choose some non-dairy sources of calcium as well, like fortified soy and rice beverages, leafy green vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and orange juice.
(You Might Also Like To Read:9 Best Ways to Prevent Urinary Tract Infection in Women)
2. Get Enough Vitamin D to Improve Bone Health in Women:
Vitamin D helps you engage calcium in foods. You can find vitamin D in:
- Soy and rice beverages
- Fatty fish like salmon and sardines
- Egg yolks
- Fortified yogurts
3. Get Enough Nutrients to Improve Bone Health in Women:
Vitamin K, potassium, and magnesium also help our body to absorb the calcium. Get these nutrients by including a variety of healthy foods like vegetables and fruit, legumes (beans, peas, lentils), seeds, nuts, whole grains, and fish. Protein also helps to build muscle, which helps keep bones strong. Choose protein-rich foods such as poultry, meat, fish, shellfish, legumes (beans, peas, lentils), nuts and seeds.
4. Stay active to Improve Bone Health in Women:
Try to be active for at least 1 hour 30 minute each week. Here are some tips which help you to help keep your bones strong.
- Weight-bearing exercises like walking, running, low impact aerobics, hiking, dancing, tennis, and golf.
- Stretching exercises like yoga help improve bone health and coordination, which will lower your risk of falling and breaking bones.
- Dancing is a fun workout and can help in strengthening your bones and body, reduce the risk of diabetes, heart problems and weak bones.
5. Limit Caffeine:
Having too much caffeine can reduce the amount of calcium you absorb. Aim for no more than about 2-3 cups of coffee per day.
6. Limit Alcohol:
Drinking alcohol can reduce your bone health. If you drink, then don’t have more than 2-3 drinks per day.
7. Don’t Smoke
Smoking makes your bone weaker, and increase the risk of bone fractures than non-smokers.
You must ensure that you are not intaking a low-calorie diet, you are taking proper diet full with vitamin, calcium, and potassium. Do regular exercise and be active. Don’t ignore the signs of bone problems whenever you feel the symptoms, consult your doctor as soon as possible.
(People Also Like To Read: Top 7 Ways to Promote Heart Health in Women)
GoMedii is All-in-One integrated Technology platform which helps to better manage chronic illnesses, prescription management & creates a continuum of care with a patient-centric approach under the supervision of Doctor & healthcare experts. The Technology platform enables various stakeholders (Patients, Doctor, Pharmacy, Diagnostics, Healthcare experts) to work as a unit for a better patient outcome with 1 stop solution of medicines, lab services, nutrition advice & products, Lifestyle coaching, and clinical counseling. GoMedii platform also enables the Doctor to overview a larger section of his patients.
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.