Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a hormonal imbalance that affects a woman’s hormones and causes problems with metabolism. The imbalance can cause irregular or absent periods and can make it harder to get pregnant.
(People Also Like To Read: Anti-Cancer Diet: Foods That Prevent Cancer)
Though there is no cure for PCOS, some researchers have found a diet for PCOS and lifestyle changes can reduce the impact of the condition.
Women with PCOS tend to produce a higher amount of male hormones. The problem can also lead to serious health conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Apart from this PCOD/ PCOS can causes hair loss, excess facial hair growth, acne, weight gain, and depression.
Learn more about diet for PCOS and certain lifestyle changes to lower or reduce the impact of PCOS.
Diet for PCOD: How does diet impact PCOD?
To reduce the impact of PCOS, the diet for PCOS acts in two major ways which are weight management and insulin production and resistance. Yes, insulin management is important in PCOS. As many people have insulin resistance in PCOS. With a diet that offers required nutrients, helps in weight management, and promotes a good level of insulin can reduce the impact of PCOS.
Your diet for PCOS
The standard diet for PCOS has yet to be known. But what you eat can affect PCOS. Several studies have found low-carbohydrate diets can manage the condition by managing weight and lowering insulin levels. Known diets that can help in PCOS management:
- Low GI diet: A low glycemic index (GI) diet includes foods with a low GI that keeps the insulin from rising quickly. Food items such as whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits, starchy vegetables, and other unprocessed, low-carbohydrate foods.
- Anti-inflammatory diet: This diet helps in reducing inflammatory symptoms such as water retention, and inflammation-related symptoms, like fatigue.
Here we are sharing a diet for PCOS which is low in glycemic index and carbs, and high in fibers. The plan is well-prepared by our dietitians and can be used in any condition of PCOS.
- Early Morning: Drink Methi water/turmeric water (1 tsp methi soaked overnight ) on an empty stomach.
- Break Fast: Tea / 1 glass skimmed milk/toned milk, 1 bowl veg daliya /1 brown bread sandwich, 1 cup green tea /besan chilla + mint chutney/oats upma.
- Mid-Morning: 1 Bowl papaya/1 orange /1 pear/ buttermilk / green tea/ turmeric tea.
- Lunch: Oats bran roti(1-2)/ bran roti/ 1 bowl brown rice, 1 bowl dal, 1 bowl curd, green vegetable, 1 plate salad.
- Evening: 1 cup of green tea/ normal tea with digestive biscuits/ roasted channa / Roasted bajra.
- Dinner: 1 bowl soup homemade+/1 bowl moong dal/sauté vegetable/1 bowl wheat pasta with veggies.
- Post Dinner: Post-dinner 1 cup cinnamon water/skimmed milk
Food to be included
- Cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts
- Leafy Green vegetables, such as red leaf lettuce
- Green and red peppers
- Beans and lentils
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squash
- Lean protein sources like tofu, chicken, and fish don’t provide fiber but are very filling and a healthy dietary option for women with PCOS.
(You Might Also Like To Read: 9 Foods That Reduce Alzheimer’s and Dementia Risks)
Food to be avoided
In general, the category of food to be avoided includes unhealthy food items. Below is the list of food that is to be avoided in the diet for PCOS/ PCOD.
- Avoid full cream milk
- Cut back on sugary drinks/canned juices
- Stay away from high carbs food
- Street food
- Fried food
- Refined carbohydrates
- Processed meats and excess red meat
Aside from diet for PCOS bringing lifestyle changes can help people in managing PCOS symptoms. Even the researches have found that a combining diet with physical activity can work wonders. The benefits that physical activities can have:
- Help in maintaining a healthy weight
- Improves metabolism
- Tend to regular periods
- Reduce the production of male hormone
We know the saying “the sooner the better” do not take your symptoms lightly discuss your concern with a doctor to avoid future problems. The cure for PCOS is not known yet but opting for a healthy diet with regular workout can improve the quality of life by reducing the symptoms.
(People Also Like To Read: 8 Best Foods to Eat During Periods)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a complete healthcare marketplace, where you can Book Appointment With Doctors, Get Online Consultation, Order Medicines Online, and Get hassle-free doorstep delivery within 4 hours. You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.