The liver is the second largest organ in the body that removes the poison, digests the food, and stores the energy in your body. If your liver has more than 10% of the liver’s weight, consider it a fatty liver. Fatty liver causes due to the excess of fat in the liver.
(People Also Like To Read: Glomerular Filtration Rate (GFR): Test For Kidney Wellness)
Well, when talking about types of fatty liver- there are two types:
1. Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
2. Alcoholic fatty liver disease (aka alcoholic steatohepatitis)
NAFLD or nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is not related to alcohol usage, where Alcoholic Fatty liver causes by years of excessive alcohol consumption.
Symptoms of fatty liver
So far, the symptoms are concerned both the types do not produce symptoms, if produce, will be few. For the few, you may notice the feeling of tiredness, discomfort in the upper right side of your abdomen, weight loss, weakness, and confusion. Let’s head forward to understand the Fatty Liver causes to prevent the symptoms.
Fatty liver may cause symptoms such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Itchy skin
- Yellow skin and eyes
- Web-like clusters of blood vessels under your skin
- Abdominal pain
- Abdominal swelling
- Swelling of your legs
- Breast enlargement in men
Fatty liver causes
One must understand the origin of the condition to prevent it from developing. Fatty liver causes when the body fails to metabolize fat, which further leads to the build-up of fat in the liver cells. Hence, the accumulation of fat causes fatty liver.
For instance, too much alcohol consumption causes alcoholic fatty liver disease (AFLD).
The nonalcoholic fatty liver causes are not that clear, but some conditions that cause fatty liver are:
- Middle-aged or older people (although children can also get it)
- High levels of fats in the blood, such as cholesterol and triglycerides
- Certain drugs, such as corticosteroids and some cancer drugs
- Certain metabolic disorders, including metabolic syndrome
- Rapid weight loss
- Certain infections, such as hepatitis C
- Exposed to some toxins
Diet plan for Fatty liver
Currently, lifestyle changes are cherry-picked treatment for fatty liver causes. These lifestyle changes include losing weight, reducing alcohol intake, low-fat, low-cholesterol diet, and exercise at least 45 minutes on most days of the week. Here we are sharing a diet plan to treat fatty liver, which is prepared by dietitians.
|Early morning (6-7)||Lukewarm water|
|Breakfast (9-10)||Tea/milk (skimmed) stuff Roti/ Poha /Upma/idli + soaked almonds |
|Mid-morning (at 11)||Fruits(apple/papaya/orange/pomegranate/coconut water / Veg soup/butter milk /Green tea /Lemon water |
|Lunch(1-2)||Chapatti (1-2), Dal 1 bowl/roasted chicken/egg curry (egg white only)+ Vegetable + raita /plain curd 1bowl/ Salad (cucumber) 1 bowl|
|Evening (4-5)||Tea/coffee without sugar / green tea with Biscuits/besan cheela/ baked cutlet/ bhuna chana|
|Pre-dinner (6)||fresh vegetable juice/fresh vegetable soup/ egg whites (1-2)|
|Dinner(8-9)||Chapatti, dal + vegetable, Curd, salad|
|After dinner (10 – after 10)||skimmed Milk less of sugar /green tea|
(You Might Also Like To Read: Kidney Disease and Diabetes- Link Between the Two Conditions)
Note: Additional information
- High fiber food items like green vegetables and green salads to be added.
- Combination of cereals like wheat black channa and barley flour.
- Prefer whole wheat and whole pulse.
- Drink more fluid.
Know the Do’s and Don’ts to treat fatty liver causes
In addition to the lifestyle changes, consider the below mentioned dos and don’ts to treat the fatty liver causes.
Dos to medicate fatty liver causes
- Exercise daily to maintain a healthy weight.
- Get a low fat and low cholesterol diet.
- Use unsaturated fats like olive oil, mustard oil, rice bran oil, etc.
- Hydrate well to remove toxins from the body.
- Stop smoking.
- Don’t drink coffee more than 2 times a day.
- Drink green tea or lemon water to remove toxins from the body.
- Eat high-fiber foods like vegetables & fruits.
- Add healthy protein in your diet, such as lean meat, plant protein (like beans, legumes pulses). It helps in repair damaged liver cells.
Don’ts to medicate fatty liver causes
- Avoid refine carbohydrates.
- Avoid fried foods
- Stay away from red meat
- No to starchy food items, such as bread, pasta, cake, pizza, etc.
- Avoid salty & surgery items.
- Red flag to packed food items like chips, soup, jam, jelly, etc.
Note that to improve your liver health you need to look out for other things, such as managing your cholesterol level and diabetes. Diabetes and fatty liver are closely related so manage the condition with exercise and diet. You can also ask for help from the doctor.
(People Also Like To Read: 9 Amazing Foods To Boost Metabolic Rate)
Disclaimer: GoMedii is a recognized and a considerate healthcare platform which tends to connect every dot of the healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii facilitates the accessibility of all health news, health tips, and information from the Health experts and Doctors to the eyes of readers. All of the information and facts mentioned in the GoMedii Blog are thoroughly examined and verified by the Doctors and Health Experts, elsewise source of information is confirmed for the same.
About GoMedii: GoMedii is a Healthcare Technology Platform That Works Out Your Treatment / Surgery the Way You Need & Plan. A Treatment partner that simplifies the patient journey at every step. Drop Your Queries for the most affordable & world-class treatment options.You may simply download the GoMedii app for Android or iOS.